With threats of frosty nights as a constant reminder that winter is approaching and there isn't a thing I can do about it. I strongly dislike this season with its bitter cold and high maintenance required for clothing and vehicles. This is one season I would never ever miss. I can only hope that its a mild one without knee deep snows and below zero temperatures and ice storms!
My big adventure this past week was hitting Wild Oats with its 50% off everything in the store except for beer which was 20%!!!!! I wonder if this happened anywhere else in the country? Whole Foods purchased Wild Oats last month and here the 2 stores are less than a quarter mile apart so Wild Oats closed its doors. It was a mad house...we, my friend Petra and I, arrived 30 minutes after opening and the lines where front to back and the aisles where jammed packed. We were there for 3 hours with 2.5 hours spent in line...the only thing better than 50% off groceries would have been free gas! I only took a hundred bucks and stocked up on teas, skin care, condiments, juices, a cd, nothing that I couldn't have lived without, which is prolly why it was so much fun...but there were folks who came to seriously shop. The highest total I overheard was 800 and that was with the 50% off. It was kinda fun in a crazy sort of way.
My upcoming adventure this week will be me giving a poetry reading at a private gathering of poets. Its been very close to 3 years since I did a reading and I'm looking forward to it. In preparing for it, I actually got an idea for a quilt which I placed in my idea book to work on after the first of the year. I keep turning over ways to incorporate poetry and quilts and specifically my own poetry. I've been dismissing ideas because they are not bold or dramatic enough but this recent idea is quite simple but it is working for me because it gives equal weight to the textile and the written word. I shall see....
Judy tagged me a while back on the 7 random things about me and I'm going to play this time (I don't like memes and quizzes) because I like Judy's blog and I know she will never tag me again and I can do anything once for a friend. ;)
1. I've had beer with jalepenos in the bottom.
2. I'm a Scrabble fanatic but haven't played in a long while.
3. I really dig the poetry of Naomi Shihab Nye.
4. I love coffee and I'm snobbish about it...will not drink coffee that is artificially flavored...that just messes up the bean.
5. I was a consultant with Mary Kay Cosmetics for 7 years and loved it! I only stopped due to ill health.
6. I never did learn to roller skate inspite of attempting to several times in my teens and in my 20s. The last time I tried I was in my late 30s and an 80 year old woman who had knee surgery 8 months prior kept passing me up.
7. I cooked buffalo meat for the first time yesterday. I prepared steaks on a Foreman grill and they were delicious. I purchased them 2 weeks ago after sampling a bite at a local farmer's market. We all loved them!
If you read my 7 things, then consider yourself tagged!