I'm going to attempt to blog the development of this piece and my thought processes around how it will come to fruition. The notes I made in the margins are as follows:
- skin tones: raw umber/burnt sienna or paynes grey.
- consider the decayed urban church screened in the background or as the background
- bottom 1/3 in diamonds or hexagons-pieced-consider blue/white commercial fabrics, all different
- consider yellow-orange heart behind them, engulfing them which could give the opportunity to play with highlights, but I liked the flat appearance of the study.
- heart would have some metallic in it and/or reflective bead embellishment
- blackbirds/sparrows present one season in the town Sula and Nel lived in
- figure/male with bell, rope tied around waist connected to bell, if used, subdue image as not to compete.
- ear smaller, heads larger.
- could attempt a more complicated background in collage Romare Bearden style to suggest a village of people, if used, images fused in cubism....people combined with birds and masks and houses
- take a look at the sketch for Milkman's Journey and consider the layout for the background or merge the 2 images into one quilt....really want a quilt for each novel but the 2 sketches work well together, but could be too busy for my personal aesthetics as would the collaged background.
These are thoughts I contemplated as I looked at the outline and asked myself "where do I go next with this?".
I was going to use a projector but I remembered the glass got broken last Spring. So, my next step is to take the image to Kinko's and enlarge it. I know I could do it on my printer but I do not want to tape the pages together.