Thursday, October 18, 2012

Celebrating life

Today was a celebration of life! After 5 days away from the studio due upper respiratory infection...(I quickly got a z-pac) I felt good to go today and was back...didn't do anything taxing...just socialized, had visitors that came with great vibes, and did a little dabbling on fabric...see...
A daughter of a friend I've know since elementary came to hang out with me today in the studio.  She is reviving her craft and art habits after graduating from college and facing a chronic health challenge.  She is a beautiful young woman and I felt honored that she shared her embroidery and jewelry that she makes and was interested in seeing who I make my cloth.  Art can heal and connect people, in turn creating a vibrant community, yes it can!

I should be in bed now, but I'm hyped...I could have just stayed at the studio all night and messed around.  Tomorrow I'm scheduled to be interviewed by a professor from UofL...she is doing a project of African American women artists in the state.  I don't know what to expect but I'm going to have fun!


6 comments:

  1. Another beautiful piece---and yes, given the time of your post---you should have been in bed! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You take care of yourself!!!!!! We do not any relapses. I am happy to hear you are on the mend and back in the studio, however.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful fabric. Who would have know you made this on the mend. Make more like this one. Take it slow and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad your art and community help get you back on your feet! I'm sure, given what I see here, that it inspires lots of others as well. Have fun with the interview! BTW, not long after you changed the name of your blog, I heard a radio piece on The Chitlin' Circuit - it was fascinating - but I think a lot of people haven't heard of it, so that's one thing to include in your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone. After I do this Good Folk Fest the first weekend in November, I'm going to begin coasting to get through winter. Not making any commitments, not meeting any deadlines...just slow and steady.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dee, that place were my studio is located use to be a former meat processing company...slaughter 3000 hogs a day and 300 cattle...combined that with the culturally relevant Chitlin' Circuit that was the only way for African American Artists to make a living and the name is spot on!

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...