Sunday, August 4, 2013

Loving Life...

The months June and July 2013 will go down in my personal history as an emotional smorgasbord.  I already referenced June in the post about my cousin visiting and selling 2 pieces of art.  (a couple of posts below) 

With my Mother, children and grandchildren, we visited my father's gravesite on the 3rd anniversary of his death.  For me, it was my first visit.  So many thoughts were tied into the visit...looking at a headstone with my Mother's name on it even though she is still with us while being present with my children and grandchildren made me think of hope and dreams, dreams materialized, un-materialized, and dreams on the way of becoming.

Then there was the verdict.  The verdict.  The verdict.  It sits in the stomach. 

The end of the month we took a day trip to the Children's Museum in Indy.  Seven of us, four generations riding in a van. 
Indianapolis Children's Museum

I also married my Partner of 27 years!  I couldn't have done this 25, 20, or even 15 years ago due to my perspective on marriage as an institution combined with my own hypocrisy I experienced from my first marriage at the age of 20.  I think somewhere I read, heard Ms Maya Angelou say, a woman isn't fully grown until she is at least 40.  The last 13 years has been an opening of clarity about what love is and isn't for me.  This was the year the conversation changed for us both...instead of "we'll get around to it" it turned into "let us do this and do it now".  And although I can't name it now, it does feel like we're seeing with new eyes and wearing new skin since we jumped over the broom.

We took a brief getaway to Yellow Springs, Ohio with stops in Athens to see Quilt National 13 and Cincy to Saint Theresa's Textile Trove inside Pendleton Art Center and Krohn's Conservatory, and to the Air Force Museum in Dayton.  The breath of fresh air had me itching to return to my studio. 
National Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio

Krohn's Conservatory in Cincinnati, Ohio
Studio work July/August 2013








13 comments:

  1. Congrats! Isn't it wonderful to be "grown" and really KNOW when something is right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to you both! It is a lovely feeling to be 'at home' in one's skin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverly. It is something I'm grateful for indeed!

      Delete
  3. Very glad to see you are doing well, and at peace in your life.
    I think art is a big plus in our well-being, and pray you will continue to be aggressive in this area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Carol...truly, thank you! It is a blessing that I hope I show gratitude for just by keeping on.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on all the wonderful things that are happening in your life. It was good to see you the other night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise Beth! It was my first time seeing the extent of Leigh's work...very impressive!

      Delete
  5. " You is Married Now " Can't you see Sophia saying it with her head tilted and hands on her robust hips? Everything has a time and season, this one belongs to you and Peter. What a wonderful summer.
    Blessings to your family
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg Valerie! I need my tail in bed but I'm laughing out loud here! I can't count the times I've said and played that scene in my head in the last week! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on everything! A four generation road trip sounds like such fun, and who doesn't love a wedding? My bet friend married her partner after 10 years together, and my sister after about 5 years and two kids. I think it's very grown up to know when something is right for you and to not be pressured if it doesn't feel right. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin. When I was in my 20s and Peter and I first started living together and my aunt (in the voice of my mother) asked me when we were getting married (worried about me living in sin) and I very seriously replied "oh, we have set a date and we're going to do it when we both reitre". My aunt burst out laughing but I was never again asked about from my mother or her again. How near prophetic my little smartass quip, eh?!

      Delete
  7. I devoured this post like a starving man on Thanksgiving day! So wonderful and utterly fantastic in so many ways I wouldnt even know where to begin! So I'll just say Congrats and I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...