Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I'm one of 1.6 million!

My goals for October:


1. 50 postcards for JD Green's cd release event.


2. Retake photos for Form Not Function, cd and application


3. Complete quilts (binding and sleeves)


4. Flyers (see #2 below)


5. Start a portfolio cd


Thanks it...Here is how it went on last months goals:


1. Have 25 postcards and 25 fiber brooches ready for sale by Sept. 9thscrapped the brooches but did the postcards


1a. backing, sealed, on placards, etcrelated to above


1b. on cards, take 5 to retailers.  decided against it due to dropping prices on postcards and discovered there wasn't a need, postcards sold very well.


2. Flyers on renting space by hr/intro to dye in lobby and Mellwood/LAFTA email list.


3. Make up price list  completed


4. Complete applications for 2 exhibits  (still working it out)


4a. 2 pieces quilted and completed  (1 piece used for postcards, still working on it)


4b. Ade to photographed  (need to retake them)


5. Begin putting together a cd portfolio.  (still working on it) 


************************


Yesterday I read Kyra Hicks' new booklet, a true gem!  It is packed, I mean packed with information for such a small book.  It goes a long way, I mean really long way, in filling the gap in quilting resources and information.  I intentionally left it at the studio for fear that I'd start searching out the online resources and sites, close to 300, and would never ever get up from the computer all in the name of fun and expanding my brain.  There are six original applique blocks by Francine Haskins included and I thought how fun it would be to make them and send images to both Kyra and Francine.  Even though I can't handle making them now because my plate is full and I work so slow as it is, I do intend to make them within the coming year.  Also, for someone whose head is as thick as mine when it comes to statistics, Kyra writes with such transparency on the topic and takes a layperson's tone toward presenting the info that I found myself really interested in something that would normally make my eyes go wide trying to understand.  I had to pinch myself to make sure it was me!  Thank you Kyra for being so kind for the thick-headed among us when it comes to numerical data.  


Kyra Hicks 


 



2 comments:

  1. Kyra is my sister ... and I've been amazed (and proud) of the work that she continues to do in promotion of African American quilters.
    peace, Villager

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was blessed to have "met" Kyra back in the early days of the internet when Prodigy was the "it" on the web and was further blessed to meet in person about 2 years ago when she came here to speak at the museum on the history of African American quilting. She has a brilliant mind and beautiful kind spirit. by chance are you her brother that lived in Cincy I believe at the time? If so, you ran a discussion board on Prodigy and an organization for Africans who worked in computer tech field???

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...