Sunday, May 1, 2005

Art Going Postal

http://artgoingpostal.blogspot.com



I mailed 10 postcards to my friend Kelly in Lancaster, Ohio who had an gallery show this weekend. She displayed them and 3 sold.  The above site was created to display the postcards that are available for purchase. There will be no commentary...just pictures.  Friends helped me select the name from 2 choices- Art Going Postal and Art in My Mailbox.  So what do you think?



This idea came from Mo Bird Design, the daughter of Gerrie at Crazy For Fiber.  Also, someone shared a link to a visual artist who paints acrylic post card size paintings, one each day, and sells them.  His name was Duane Kieser (?) but I can't find the link to his blog at the moment. 



I finished a wall size piece today...still contemplating beading on it...but it pretty much is finished...its one that has already been posted here...the blue/aqua/yellow/green/orange strips that I resurrected from another piece.  I finished the edge with a satin stitch in matching variegated thread, size 12 from Sulky.  After I finished I heard my mother's voice in my head saying "nice placemat"...(She has good intentions, really) so thats why I thought about beading for it. 



I did manage to get the metal pieces for the other one I've talked about a few days ago, but just haven't had the energy to focus on finishing it.  Yesterday and Friday where hard physically and I just kept going until around 8pm yesterday. I was suppose to go hang out with a friend from my elementary through high school days who was here from Columbia, SC and I laid down to rest and that was it!  I was restless and attempted to get up a few times and read blogs but my lack of focus and irritability got the best of me.  When I finally fell asleep, I had nightmares all night and when I woke this morning it felt like I had been moving furniture all day...I guess whatever I was dreaming about had me running for my life.  My friend flew out early this morning and I feel terrible.  I will give her a call when she gets home tonight or tomorrow...I hope she understands...people think they understand about my limitations and I think most give a genuine effort to do so...but I know it is hard to reconcile when I'm emotionally up and vibrant but physically in pain or fatiqued on some days. 



Well, I've got to go prepare for returning to work tomorrow...it will be permanent "light duty" as ordered by the doctor, so I'm interesting to see what will happen with my job duties and re-organization.  I'm also hoping I can do this. 



4 comments:

  1. Karoda I think my blog has the link to Mr. Keiser. I'll look for it. If i remember right, his pieces sold pretty well. And for $100.00 What does that say about fabric art, think anyone could sell a fabric postcard for that??? His subjects were about daily things, like a coffee cup or an onion.
    I'm also struggling with the RTW at light duty. I find that trying to do the balance thing is very hard. My brain gets overloaded very easily. And of course, people think I look fine! But like my cognitive therapist says "Do you want me to cast your head?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the blogspot for the postcards is a great idea. They're gorgeous! It's not against any of their rules, is it? Love your work and always enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the postcard blog. *Going Postal* was one of the name choices for the postcard group "Posta l-art" but was rejected because many people put the group name on the cards they mail and some poeple were worried about postal workers being insulted. Personally, I loved the name (and I have quite a few friends and family members who work for the USPS...they all thought the name was a hoot).
    Keep up the great work!!
    teri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karoda! I went to your new blog and like the postcards. Thanks for your nice comment about mine, but mine aren't all original like yours. I'm glad you can go to light-duty at work, and hope that works out for you. Be easy on yourself, I'm sure your friends understand, they just might feel helpless to know what to do.

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...