Thursday, December 30, 2010

Juba Jive

Crazy weather! Yesterday it was in the 50s...the overcast kept it cool and it was wet and gray but still I thought I'd make the best of the day and go into the studio.  Its been five weeks since I last laid eyes on the place! For the first hour I sat and and relaxed in order to get re-acclimated.  After solving all the problems of the world I then got busy doing my favorite avoidance activity...rearranging.  I reduced the display area to gain more work space.   Unlike at the basement, I have my portable o2  when in the studio which I sometimes forget that I'm wearing until it falls off a chair or I feel the tug of the tube as I attempt to move around...but it hinders me from moving gracefully (ah! like I ever did without it!) so finding the ideal arrangement is on-going.   The furniture has remained light weight and easily movable.  What I gained was a card table that I'm going to use for overflow items, like containers, paints, rags, etc. which will keep the paint/print table clearer and I can more easily lay the portable at one end without it getting in the way.  Also, I'm only going to keep one quilt up for display except for when I'm actively participating in open studios.  With the extra wall space I'll hang fabrics that I've either completed or are in progress.  


The studio space behind me that I had considered moving into some months ago is now occupied by a fashion retailer for the divas, skinny divas at that.  The shop is only open on Fridays and Saturdays so I didn't meet the new tenant.   A couple of spaces near me have become vacant and when I showed Moriah the one I would consider, she confirmed it was too small even if I streamlined.   I knew that but I just wanted to be hopeful since it would save me some cash.


I'm going to refrain from assessing 2010 but to sum it up, the first six months were great with some dings and the last six months were less than great with perks.    2011 is my Golden Jubilee year since I am FIFTY as of today, so "JUBILATION"  will be my operative word to carry me through the year.  When all else fails, express joy.


Peace,



9 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Karen! Fifty was a great year for me. I wish the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 50 birthday! Hope you will have a wonderful day. Happy New year, too. Were your parents disappointed that you were not the first baby of the new year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Karen , and Happy Birthday. I remember when I turned 50, then I remembered when I turned 60 and that is all you need to know. It seems that a lot of bloggers are cleaning and rearranging their spaces. My best friend and I always said we could get a lot more accomplished if we weren't always cleaning, rearranging, and trying to spurce things up so much. I did some cleaning and changing things in my studio, and now I'm ready to start all over again.
    Love, and friendship to you for now and the coming year..

    ReplyDelete
  4. May you have a most creative Jubilee Year! Fifty is a good year: liberated, I think is how I felt!
    Happy New Year to you, with wishes for good health, happiness, and huge spans of creativity!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated Birthday! Jubilation for a jubilee year sounds like a great way to start the new year. Cheers to you and a creative future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, I think they were happy I came in just in time to be a tax credit :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think if I had the energy I would diva-fy my 50th year...but instead I'm going keep joy in everything that comes my way no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks Kristin, and back at cha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I sent you a happy b.d. wish on Facebook but I'll leave another one here, anyway. Your two posts (this and the next one) made me laugh - you're funnier than usual. It must be that big round number that's bringing out your inner comedian! My 50s were wonderful; wishing you one that's even better than the one I had.

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...