Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Memory vs. Imagination

My mother is giving up her home of 46 years.  I've been thinking about my attachment to the houses I've know in my 50 years.  There have been four with deep roots and the art of Kristin La Flamme kept creeping in my head today...specifically her Homes and Roots series.  I'm not certain how I will address the sense of rootlessness.  Its hard for me to know when I should push back against the weight of memory or when to relax into imaginings for tomorrows.  I've not been processing too heavily though, just trying to stay focused on what needs to be done.


Much of her household things will be going into the garage sale this weekend and next weekend, plus I've listed items on CL.  My mother's home was her pride and joy.  She appears to be okay and looking forward to her move into a contemporary 2 bedroom apartment for seniors.  


The heat and humidity have slowed my roll but I'm still making it into my studio.  Mo has been dropping me off and Peter picking me up.  Today, I was there about 2.5 hours and washed out my two lastest fabric crushes and painting soy wax on this fabric.  My inspiration is African Kuba cloth.  There are no meanings I've assigned to these symbols but I do keep wondering about how language and meanings transform and are fluid and not set cultural icons over time...again it is that weight of memory/history vs the imaginations into the future thing happening.


DSCN2354


Last weekend Peter and I went to shoot pictures at the waterfront.  I just used my Nikon S630 point and shoot.   These are looking over the Ohio River.


DSCN2314


DSCN2332


 


 


 



3 comments:

  1. There's a saying (I think it originated in India, but I learned it in Germany) that we should give the small children roots to grow, but when they are bigger, give them wings to fly. Sounds like your mom is ready to fly, and you will probably enjoy a little weightlessness too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's going to be a tough move for your Mom, even if she doesn't let on! She is a brave woman.
    Love your pictures.
    Stay well......take it slow and easy in this heat and humidity.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the second and third photos.
    Cassy from Rock Guitar Lessons

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...