Thursday, July 26, 2012

Profane or Holy? It depends....

For those of you who do solo shows more than every other year, I toast you with a glass of champagne! Yes, I do!  I'm not even preparing for a solo show but one shared with Ronald Upfromsumdirt Davis, my brother, and preparing work is serious SERIOUS bid-ness (business).  After about 4 hours I begin to get cross-eyed and tonight I was only able to work 2.5 hours before eyestrain set in.  I got a feeling I'll be schizoid between counting my blessings and cussing up a storm during the month of August...hopefully if you run into me it will be while counting blessings and if not, remind me to.

Tonight I went back in on the washed out piece I showed in the post below.  What you see is the before, the after, and the do-over on the bottom half.  Looking at it here I think the shadowing on the left is too stark but it is a lesson for next time.  I didn't re-apply the no flow, just went back in using brushes and Dye-na-flow.  After it dried, or somewhat damp dry, I ironed the phuck out of it! using dry heat and kept the iron moving.


I prepared a sample for rinsing tomorrow or Saturday to see what will happen...of course the sample might be fine but the actual piece might loose color again.  That will be another cussing moment.

This piece is also under the needle...


Karoda's hieroglyphs inspired by various African writing systems.

Well it is late, I'm tired, and tomorrow I'm going to go see Beast of the Southern Wild and it is also Frankfort Ave. Trolley Hop so I'll be hanging out at Mellwood in my studio or someone else's.  Peace.

6 comments:

  1. I think all the versions are quite good, but you are right about the darker shadows, You are doing a great job and doing something I don't think I would attempt. Proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gerrie! I started drawing various aspect of this man back in May. At this rate, one of these a year will be sufficient. It has given me the courage though to do one about my great grandmother I've had a rough sketch for years.

      Delete
  2. I knew you would get it the way you wanted it. The last version is much sharper. I also like your African hier--------. A very nice change from the norm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was still to scared to rinse it last night...will brave it sometime over the next day or two.

      Delete
  3. Lookin' good. It will all be worth the cursing and eyestrain in the end. And those hieroglyphics -- they look fantastic. I dream of that kind of consistency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know Kristin, it wasn't until I quilted something that I do anyways that the quilting flowed with regular consistency...as long as I was trying to do the quilting lines from books, mags, videos, it was stilted.

      Delete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...