Monday, July 9, 2012

What a relief!

The conversation across the nation is about weather in some form or another.  After a 10 day run of temps in the high 90s and over 100, it rapidly dropped along with the humidity causing scattered rain storms, but what a relief, I tell ya!

My hours in the studio are awkward. Today's hours were from 6:30pm-11:00pm.  I could have stayed longer but I had reached a point that I needed to rest and think about the 2 pieces I worked on this evening. When I push myself to go forward at the point of uncertainty, I usually flub it up.  These 2 pieces couldn't be any more different...



The top one being an abstract landscape. It is heavily layered with mixed materials and is evolving intuitively.  The bottom piece is Oliver Lewis, the first Kentucky Derby winning jockey in 1875.  I keep drawing him over and over in different ways using different media. (you can google him to see the reference photo I'm using)  With this piece I'm more conscientious by being more deliberate, moving with a slow hand, and thinking more about value, light and shadows.  When I ask myself which one is most representative of my spirit, I answer the top one...but as for the processes both are very representational of why I enjoy doing what I do.  And the transition from one piece to the other was a smooth one.


6 comments:

  1. Both pieces look lovely! I look forward to seeing where they go from here. Glad to hear your temperatures are becoming more comfortable. We have had a cold summer, and sure could use some heat. Temperatures have been around 60 - 65 here... so I am hoping for a bit more warmth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just a bit more warmth, but 60-65 is more of the perfect spring or fall day here. I had an creative epiphany about the landscape quilt...I'm going to try to machine needle felt the layers more (it is quite think) then quilt it.

      Delete
  2. Hi Karen, I admire your stick-to-itiveness (know that is not a legitimate word), but you get the point. The image of the man looks complicated. I am waiting to see the finished projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol the hardest part is working with the right tones in coloring. Thank you for the encouragement...it means a lot to me. :)

      Delete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...