Friday, February 1, 2013

Hemp ain't cheap...

Its been almost 9 years since I've been in the workforce but I still get excited about Fridays. I'm tracking my studio time this year so I can have a clearer picture of the amount of time I'm there and what I do while there, believing that my time and how it's spent is a direct link to achieving my goals for the year.  In addition to a calendar where I write my start/end times I come home and enter time into an excel spread sheet along with abbreviated notes of what I did while there.

The hemp fabric might be a blend of hemp and rayon.  It has a lot of give in it.  I ironed on a leave-in stabilizer to give me more control with cutting. Today I decided to add prairie points at the bottom in the black fabric.  The points will be in front of 3-4 inches of green and cowrie shells will hang from the ends of the point.

The state legislators on both sides of the aisle are discussing returning hemp growing to Kentucky (Kentucky was a producer in the 1800s) and with Rand Paul (groan) and the state chief of agriculture leading the pack plan on asking the Federal govt. for a special waiver to start.  The state police are the voice of highest concern.  I'm not sure what the process is to turn hemp, the plant, into hemp, the fabric...but my selfish interest is, will it bring the cost per yard down.  

I spent time combing through my fabric stash...I don't have any brights...I lean toward shades which might account for my love of grays.  I was looking for fabric to write on. When I found it, I tested out markers for colour...the ones at the top of the fabric I eliminated and the ones on the right are possibilities.  The b/w image helps me with determining value...all of these will work value-wise.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your posts about your work and studio practice. It helps me to feel connected to kindred spirits and inspires me in my own practice. Thanks so much, Georgeann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Georgeann, that is so the beauty of blogging, finding one's tribe. Thank you for taking the time to let me know. Also, I tried finding your blog but your profile is hidden. From your user name, are you a weaver?

      Delete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...