Sunday, December 18, 2005

Color and Composition, pages 20-22

Dscn1129 Dscn1135                                                                  





















Dscn1137 The first photo is the still life (minus the iron) that I worked with.  Before I even started I knew that I would not attempt cutting out light and shadows from fabric but would use coloured pencils and watercolour crayons (plug for Gabrielle's DVDs) to achieve as this would be similiar to what I would do if making a piece all my own.  It still seemed a way to get to the point of the exercise.  I really like the way the apple and orange turned out with the crayons and pencils.  I didn't bother with light and shadow on the 2nd part of this exercise but its obvious I went with a diagonal composition...the red half circle on the bottom of the last photo is actually the flip side from of the second photo.  Its called being frugal.  The apple fabric started out as white and I coloured it in layers with the watercoloured crayons.



The purple bottle is a wine bottle that I've had for years.  I purchased this simply on the colour and shape of the bottle. The wine was very good but I have no idea what the brand was other than it began with a V as evidenced by the letter on the silver part.  I haven't seen the bottle since. 



Mary Beth at Orientation Quilter had an entry about selecting wine based on the label and at the beginning of the week I did just that and selected this because of the colours and the mola-like design: Dscn1141

















Sorry for the fuzzy picture.  The next exercise provides 2 options for thread contour drawing with the sewing machine.  For those working through this, feel free to post between now and the week after Christmas...thats almost 2 weeks...I feel I need that much time to practice this one before coming up with a recognizable image.  Hangeth in!



9 comments:

  1. My husband likes to purchase wine based on how much he likes the label. We have gotten some really horrible wines that way - ggggggggg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, I'm breating a sigh of relief that we havve 2 more weeks to do the contour stitching. I had figured I'd do the whole section as one.
    You mean there's another way to buy wine than by it's label? I like Raven's Wood for it's label.
    I wish I lived near you as I would LOVE to see Kathy Loomis' quilts. Typography and quilting are my two big loves as well. What a great theme for a series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would've never thought of using crayons and pencils to work in my shadows, it seems easier and gives the same outcome!!
    I'm going to need 2 weeks to work on the contour stitching so I'm happy with the extension.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fusing the pieces onto one piece of fabric!! Brilliant!! and Frugal!!
    (like all those !!!??s I just had my first cuppa caffiene).
    I cut my pieces out of scraps and just placed them on the fabric. then into the postcard drawer... Is this cheating? (or frugal?)
    How did YOU like "drawing with a scissors"? I found it very difficult to do the contour drawing thing with scissors...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you love the cork from the Smoking Loon? Who Who Whooo. Cracks me up everytime I open a bottle.
    I really like your still life, nice composition and great colors, I better get going and do mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister and I are notorious for choosing wine based on the bottle and/or label. We've had both good and bad results with that.
    So...Karoda...did you intend for your still life to be quite so, um...phallic? Just wondering... [grin]

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have loved looking at what every one has done. I will try to get mine done after I get home and get set for the holidays.
    Glad to have the two weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. DebR, I'm laughing so hard I have tears rolling down my face...tonight when I sewed on the borders I thought the very same thing and then when I had to explain to my beloved what is cracking me up, he said it had crossed his mind when he first saw it yesterday but was reluctant to say it out loud. I dunno, making at art just puts me in the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've worked in the wine industry (and even know the designer who designs the Smoking Loon labels) and loved reading the wine label comments. Lots of wine sales reps believe that when sales drop, you *must* change the label ... I always hated to see the great labels be replaced.

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...