Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Low Technique Yields High Results

One of the suggestions Claire Benn gave us in May was to push the limits of one single tool...just commit to using one mark making tool everyday for a week in your studio.  A couple of weeks ago I did just this using a plastic card and did these...


DSCN2402 DSCN2404



But my new awesome favorite tool is this!


DSCN2408 click to enlarge.


The insert from toilet paper is a fantastic stamping tool.  I shape it into a pod, square, rectangle or odd shape  and just stamp with my medium of choice.  I must give a shout out to the fabulous Joanne Weis (toward the bottom on the post) for suggesting this in a LAFTA workshop she gave last year.



5 comments:

  1. I'm ready to cut those first two fabrics and make something. What paint or dye medium did you use. Explain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. on the top, i used procion mx dye thickened with print paste, on the second one, i used jaquard discharge paste, and on the last one i used golden fluid acrylic paint mixed with golden 900 which makes it equivalent to fabric paint. i mix it at 1:3 ratio instead of the 1:1 ratio and it still leaves the fabric a little stiff but that doesn't bother me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love it, love it, love it. you are making it for me right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you sistah, but the answer would be "no" :)

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...