Friday, May 3, 2013

John 14:2

Celebrity sightings all over the city, but I am home after a long productive day.  The thought briefly rolled through my head to go out on Central Avenue (the main entrance for Churchill Downs) and hang a sign around my neck "buy my art"...you know I heard Langston Hughes sold his books from the trunk of his car at one time in his career.  Gotta love grass roots marketing eh?!  

But with that said, Archeology, (apologies for the poor photography)



is hanging in Churchill Down's new development, "The Mansion".  It can be seen on this video at the 40 second mark and again at a minute and a half in the background.  At the 42-3 second mark, another textile artist, Ramona Lindsey's work can be seen in the background on the right.  The pieces were selected from the walls of Kore Gallery and also included 10 pieces by resident artist Donald Cartwright.  The work will be there for 100 days.  Kudos to Churchill Downs for selecting art by local artists to enhance their space.

Today I was at the top of my game! I was up early before Peter left for work and decided to have him drop me off at the studio.  We are down to 1 car but I am giving praise and feeling grateful because the other car was totaled in a wreck 2 weeks ago and no injuries were reported.  He was coming home from work on a Friday and a mile from home when a young man ran into the back of a van and the van ran into the back of Peter and he had to slam his breaks to keep from ramming the car in front of him.  The young man was speeding and had a baby in the car but at the time of the accident no injuries of all involved were reported and for that our inconvenience is like water off a duck...no big deal.

But I was in the studio at 6:45 am, no, make that 6:45 AM!  take a peek at what I did inside my own mansion....

 

 

 

America

 I will take the above photo and draw some aspect of it 3-5 each week until I feel I can see enough to  begin it on cloth.  This is my first day and what I did was to outline shapes.  From here I'll add looking for changes in value.


I doodled feathers.  I finally have a quilt where I think feather quilting will be enhancing.  I've never quilted feathers other than practice.

And the below images are fabrics that I designed yesterday and today...








It is this last piece that it hit me why I love marbling...not just the process which is fickle but the out come...it achieves the same ethereal appearance that encaustic art has.  I've decided to let the notion of experimenting with encaustics go...(just not prudent) and let the marbling be my encaustics.
 
 

11 comments:

  1. As always such beautiful fabrics!!!! While at Paducah, I picked up some Tsukineko inks to make some marble fabrics. Are you using inks, or the traditional marbeling concept? Hope my little experiment turns out as nice as your fabs. Have a great day! Oh yea---great to see your art hung to be enjoyed by others----you will be famous pretty soon! and I can say I "knew her when"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia! last year I used dye-na-flow but still thinned them out...I don't think I tried tsukineko inks. the rest of my supplies are traditional materials. last year I used carrageen to float the paints in and this time I'm using methy-cel that I ordered from prochem. I also have some marbo-gum but haven't tried it yet. the video by Jo Fitsell was my starting point.

      Delete
    2. oh, and fame, hehehe, if it doesn't come with some increase in my nearly nil bank account, i'll pass.

      Delete
  2. Hi Karen, Dropped by this morning but did not have much time to comment. You are one ambitious sister. I still admire your "sticktuitiveness", and your determination to succeed. I love hand painting fabrics also and yours are beautiful. Have fun while you work. That's the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know that old saying about making hay while the sun shines...We were grandchildren free last week and I was trying to make the most of the week. I'm in the studio about 20 hours a week and tend to be more productive when I can get there for a few hours in a succession of days. and yes, it is fun and reviving for me and I'm thankful each and every day for my creative endeavors and the connections I've made as an artist! If we lived closer, I'd be dragging you into my studio to play :)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on having your work chosen for "The Mansion!" I'm SO impressed with how productive you are. I only wish I was half as productive as you. I'm so fascinated with this organic marbeling. I am getting ready to try some with a friend of mine from LAFTA. (I have purchased a how-to DVD by Jo Fitsell, and I'm gathering the supplies now.) I hope I get some pieces I can use; yours are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth, that is the video that got me started. I'll look for your evaluation on your blog. After 10 years I think I'm beginning to focus in more on what processes I'll be using for much of my quilts. (I think ;) )

      If you don't like what you get the first full pulls, just keep going layering it.

      Delete
  4. I really admire your approach to the portrait. Drawing different aspects until you "know" it will bring you great results. :-) You are not kidding about it being a productive day either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin, if I allow myself to think that I'm drawing a person, face, I panic and get locked into thinking it has to be hyper-realistic which is not me, but when I can isolate shapes by shadow and light then shades of value in relation to one another, I'm more relaxed about it and realized that if I want I can make skin purple, blue, red, orange if I want, drawing feels less cumbersome.

      Delete
  5. Like Kristin, I think your approach to studying America's face is a great one... cloth is so much harder to mess around with than paper and pencil - makes total sense to study her features and mood more fluidly. And I was psyched to see her here, because I know you are focusing on surface design this summer (with unbelievable results, btw).

    put my foot in it.
    That's so funny as a saying for 'best effort' b/c the way I know that phrase is the opposite - to put one's foot in one's mouth (oops!)or in a pile of you-know-what!
    commenting on a few posts in one, here, hope you don't mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Dee, putting one's foot in mouth or deep do do definitely is not a good thing! A visitor to the studio dropped a great idea in my lap that will not leave me...kinda messing up my flow for the summer, but I think I've got to set it aside for fall or winter.

      Delete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...