Wednesday, March 9, 2005

Happy International Womens' Day!

Last night I attended a celebration at UofL. My workplace was one of the sponsors so it was an extension of my work day and a major perk. I read my poem One Mother's Blood and Karina interpreted it in Spainish for the audience that was largely Spainish speaking.  I met Tanya from Russia who shared that March 8 is a huge national holiday in Russia celebrating women...now that would be awesome to experience as a widely celebrated national holiday! 



An Iranian sistah majoring in Music Theory sung a melodic love song in Persian, another Hawaiian sistah danced a traditional dance, and several groups of Latino children did dance routines.  The evening really lifted my spirits.  The only bummer was that I forgot my camera at work. :(  When I got home I felt compelled to sketch and kinda liked what I did.  Looking at work in the last week by Abstract and Expressionists artists made me feel unhindered by my lack of drawing skills...or no-skill drawing skills (heehehehe) is more descriptive.  But I'm going to look at the sketches and see how I can turn them into quilts.



But I hope everyone had an affirming day yesterday...now lets extend that affirmation to the other 364 days of the year...hangeth in.





1 comment:

  1. I'd love to read your poem One Mother's Blood, sounds most intriguing. Glad you had a good IWDay yesterday.

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...