Sunday, March 6, 2005

HTML, Birthdays, Movies

Button_10 For 2 hours I've been fiddling trying to get this button posted in my side bar...well, as you can see it is there, BUT instead of opening up the membership list, it opens as an image in another window.



I also deleted the code for the"join/list/random/etc" button. I've emailed Diane for help. But I've taxed my itty bitty brain reserves trying to figure this out...when I have moments like this, I repeat the line from the movie Philadelphia when Denzel's character says "Explain it to me like I'm in the 4th grade"



We went to see Hotel Rwanda for my beloved's birthday on Friday.  If you love really intense movies like we do, really intense as if you are inside the movie, then go!  Don Cheadle's character was very compact and well developed.  By compact I mean at the moments of indecisiveness and moral challenge he found fly by the seat resourcefulness within himself to just get to the next moment by moment by moment.  He demonstrated throughout the movie that "make a way out of no way" intuitiveness.  My 13 yo son sat on the edge of his seat with a furrowed brow and it sparked great conversation on the drive home helping him to understand genocide.  The stunning part for me was how such an arbitrary and mythological definition that distinguished the 2 ethnic groups became such defining and fixed meanings in the political, social, cultural fabric of a nation.  Now I don't have enough space or time to go into where this takes me in examining the current trends and waves for us who live in the U.S. I'll just ask for your own personal ponderings, "What assumptions are you operating on as fixed universal truths?"  Or maybe the question is "What fixed universal truths do you operate on but have never examined?"  Don't answer me as I'm no one to answer to, but I simply posed the questions to share where the movie led me.



Peace.



4 comments:

  1. I want SO much to go see that movie!! It still makes me so very angry that the US let this happen with virtually no acknowledgement.
    As for the button.....go to someone else's blog that has the entire button and wording. Go to your top bar on the screen and click on "view" then "source." Notepad will open up with the html for the page. Scroll through until you find the html with the Artful Quilter's info....highlight all of it withing the tags and do a copy....then go to your blog, go to the template and paste the info. You can adjust where the button will appear by moving the info until it shows up where you want it....I hope that helps....Oh, and make sure you replace the # of the blog with yours....
    teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. teri, the view, source, notepad, html isn't working on my ship :) nothing happens when i do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha...I didn't even try for the colored button....it was just about too much to get the regular one to show up right. But I believe Diane said the instructions for the colored button are in her blog. Thats all the advice I can offer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even want to try the button, lol. I figured, "Hey, things are working...why mess with it?"

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...