Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee

Thanks to everyone who read and posted to the previous entry. I really didn’t know that I was going to place it on my blog until I was finished and reminded myself that first and foremost my blog is for me and secondly the community that has been created as a result of the ring. So it is nothing but sweet when they come together.



Today is light-hearted and free so here is what I was going to post yesterday but really wasn’t feeling it then…now I’m good to go.



Succulent Rib-eye and Peppers



1 tablespoon veg. oil



4 (10 oz.) rib-eye steaks



1 red bell pepper, chopped 1 green bell pepper, chopped



1 onion, sliced



4 cloves garlic, minced



3 tablespoons fajita seasoning



1 lime, juiced



Heat the oil in a skillet over high heat and sear the steaks on both sides and set aside. In the same skillet over medium heat, sauté the bell peppers, onion and garlic to desired tenderness, about 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle the steaks with the fajita seasoning and place them in a pan for the oven, place the vegetables over the steak and squeeze the lime juice over the steaks and peppers. Cover tightly and place in a pre-heated 325 degree oven and cook for one hour.



They where very tender…I served them with rice and a baked sweet potato. The votes caste were 4-0 in favor of cooking them again.



And this is for Gerrie…the gala affair had all the who’s who…but it was reported that Brad was held up at an airport and arrived late and came in the side entrance missing the red carpet. But this is who I got to see the day after at the dedication for the peasants:



Dscn1048 





















I’m not a sports fan, but I took it from the reaction of the crowd that he is big in the sports commentary arena. His name is Bob Costas. Other scoop which was reported in the paper from the salon that was selected to make sure everyone looked good was that Jim Carey is super friendly, Chris Tucker is handsome, James Taylor is cool, Matt Lauer is all business…and Bill Clinton and Hootie and the Blowfish and Lonni Ali (Muhammad’s wife) where the favorites and Evander Holyfield loves to dance.  I don’t know anyone who went to stand across the street from the red carpet but the news showed an overwhelming crowd. 





My nephew's step-son sung with a choir made up of students from all over the county. He uses sign language to communicate and sung in sign language.

























  Dscn1036 Dscn1035



Dscn1026 Dscn1032 Nappy Roots singing Po'Folks and the abolitionist Frederick Douglass under a statue of George Rogers Clark.

























Dscn1042 Looking west down the river and yes that is a small building on top of the railroad bridge that is now closed and is in dispute because a developer wants to buy it and create an entertainment complex with restaurants and nightclubs...other than it being extremely costly to do that over the river...nightclubbing over a body of water is living dangerously in my book.



Dscn1041 Looking east down the river at the JFK bridge which you want to avoid during rush hour.













Dscn1040 This is looking north across the river to southern Indiana at the Colgate plant which recently announced a plan to close ending, I think, about 800 manufacturing jobs paying an average of 22 bucks an hour. This will surely be devastating to the families and the towns that make up southern Indiana.





Dscn1062 Muhammad and Lonnie Ali standing in front of the completed flag procession.  She interviewed him when she was 12 years old for her school newspaper and later as a much older adult met him again and the rest they say is history.  He doesn't speak much in public due to his illness but still gestures and plays a lot.  But there is no denying his impact across the globe.



















There was poetry, music, and of course the politicians had to get in on the act, at least they had sense enough to keep there remarks brief.  There were older veterans coupled with a few activists that stood in silence with their signs held high calling for the end of the war.  I ran into a few people I hadn’t seen in ages, (I’m very much a home body these days) and at the end of the dedication there was a procession of international flags like in the Olympics.  It was held on the Belvedere…a outdoor community space overlooking the Ohio River















4 comments:

  1. Karoda,
    Thanks for the recipe and the pix of Louisville...I'm glad you got out and joined in the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos and yummy sounding recipe!
    And I liked yesterday's post, especially reading about your name, but I'll just add that here instead of commenting seperately. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. K, I think that wasn't Frederick Douglass, but rather my father-in-law standing underneath that statue! HA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very coooool! Not to mention Frederick Douglass is very convincing!

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...