Monday, November 14, 2005

The Lost Boys of Sudan

I still come across people who are not familiar with the exodus story of the children, mostly boys, from Sudan known as The Lost Boys. What they endured coming out of Sudan is among the greatest events of the 20th century, if indeed there is such a thing as ranking the events in our lives. For me, their stories are so compelling that I want to know every detail...the story of the trek out of Sudan is sooo much in me that just recalling it enough to write this entry I can feel on my skin. The local newspaper is running another series of articles on the young men who settled here in Louisville.  When they first arrived years ago I would stop dead in my tracks whether on foot or driving just to observe them.  Physically, they are so strikingly beautiful people that my breath would be arrested when I saw them and I would cry when I first encountered them on Louisville streets.  These young men also move with a grace that I've never seen, not even in dancers, and they are extremely quiet in their bodies.  On my last hospital stay one of the young men from Sudan wheeled me to x-ray and in spite of him wearing sneakers and walking on a tile floor I couldn't hear his footsteps (and believe me I was listening because I've been taken with their grace and stillness for some time), and their gaze is so focused and outward as if everyday was a clear day and they can see into forever.  Part of me, the poetic parts of me, believe that they where chosen by God to leave Sudan because there is something that they possess that the world is in need of.



4 comments:

  1. Karen,
    I remember this story...unbelievable what they had to endure...thanks for the link. They are beautiful people, you are lucky to live in Louisville.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this and want to cry for the desparate condition I feel humanity is in ...then I read and re-read the last sentence in which there is purpose and you give me back some hope......thanks for this post...Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a story about the lost boys on one of the news magazine shows, but hadn't seen the newspaper article. Thank you for posting the link!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know about the Los Boys of Sudan. It is so sad. Civil wars and corruption have robbed Africa for so long from being the great nations they could all be. Between the natural resources of the lands and the people themselves, Africa as a whole has so much potential that is being wasted to me.

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...