Wednesday, November 2, 2005

Crossing Over

I have never made a quilt from a commercial pattern until 2 days ago.  I have purchased 4 of them in my life time.  Not really being attracted to them from my throw back days of learning to read clothes patterns of which I was never good at doing and didn't like very much.  So I anguished over trying to make sense out of someone else's pattern and instructions.   But a recent circumstance made me get to work on one that I purchased last year to honour a 25 year friendship.



This is a pattern from Maggie Walker Design that I purchased from a local quilt shop. Dscn0983  There are 3 companion angels that I intended to buy and thought better of it until I made this one at least.  What was emphasized for me in doing this was the importance of registration lines and planning colour/palette choices from the start.  Although I love the pattern and am mildly pleased thus far, it still doesn't compare to the rush and creative frustration and joy from doing my own thing. Every now and then its okay to cross over. 



P.S. Please put the movie Crash (see the preceding post) on your must see list and let me know how it effected you!  It was incredibly intense for me.



16 comments:

  1. This is very pretty, K. I am crazy for the colors and patterns that you have used. I am not one for patterns either (never have purchased one). So is this pieced or fused?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it and yes, sometimes it is just nice to make something you love and not have to use the right side of the brain!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. its mostly fused, the borders are machine pieced...i like combining fusing with machine piecing. i have a few small pieces with this combo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's beautiful and I love how you adapted the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This angel looks much better black than white.
    I'm going to watch Crash soon...we have it on demand, I'm just waiting an opportune time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really good, as usual. Love the fabrics you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I think your friend will be delighted to receive this quilt! Color and fabric make so much difference - love the intensity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. excellent work...I used to occasionally get a hankering to make a traditional quilt but would get about a quarter of the way done and realized I already knew what it would look like. The challenge of doing your work is much more exciting to me also....but you did a fabu intrepretation of this pattern. Promise to watch Crash asap.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very lovely! Even if you did use a pattern you have certainly made the most of it. I love the color choices, and I think your friend will be delighted with your beautiful gift. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes, it WAS the one i wanted :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maggie Walker has wonderful jacket patterns. I bought one once but never made it (remember that I flunked sewing?). But I started as a traditional quilter and used traditional patterns. It can be very soothing every so often - like comfort food. No, it is not a bad thing to cross over once in a while - especially if you learn something in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The quilt turned out beautifully. I too seldom buy a pttern, but love the effect of the unusual fabric choices (unusual for this sort of pattern at least)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the feeling and the vibrant colors :) You know I can't do anything that isn't "freehand" so I doubly appreciate that you followed a pattern!
    xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely quilt. I too own a pattern by Maggie Walker..sigh! one of these days...
    Rosy

    ReplyDelete
  15. No planning color palettes!
    I really like to gather as I go.

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...