Thursday, May 8, 2008

Beat the Blues and Take A Workshop!

Juanita Yeager's solo show is going up very soon at the Carnegie Center in New Albany, Indiana!



Pathways and Stepping Stones



May 23 to July 19, 2008



Opening reception May 23, 2008, 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm



        Gallery Talk by artist, Saturday, May 24, 10:00 am



The Carnegie has the best receptions filled with music and food and people!  I'm really looking forward also to hearing Juanita give her gallery talk...having been known for her flowers, her work has taken off in a new direction, sorta like giving new soil for the flowers to grow in I guess.  She has teased us a little with showing some of her new work on her blog so I can't wait to view the new work in its entirety at the exhibit. 



Her workshops are also being offered in conjunction with the exhibit at super fantastic prices! 



q  Flowers on a Grand Scale                      $50.00



q  Singing the Blues                                  $25.00



q  Great Finishes                                       $25.00



q  Meaningful Marks and Images                $50.00





To get descriptions and lists of supplies and dates, go here.  I'm not sure which I'm going to take...would love to take them all but Meaningful Marks and Images is at the top of my list followed by Great Finishes.  Singing the Blues really put me over the edge in understanding how to work with value. I'm really looking forward to her being in the city for a week!



Also, if you ever get the chance to hear quilt journalist Kyra Hicks speak on the history and development of African American quilting, DO NO PASS IT UP!!!! I MEAN IT!!! Her information and presentation is of the caliber that causes my head to spin with new ideas and my heart to swell up with love for my people and culture.  And I'd bet that is a common feeling among those in any audience!  I had the blessed chance to hear Kyra back in March at the Speed Musuem and share lunch with her prior to presentation.  The connection between Kyra and I go back to when Prodigy ruled the net! So is was a huge gift to meet her finally in person!



I'm off like a prom dress!



 





 







3 comments:

  1. Hands down, the Delta. Anywhere along the Blues trail would be good. Clarksdale, Greenwood, all the way up to Memphis. They have Blues festivals all during the Spring and Fall and a ton of related stuff.
    http://www.cathead.biz/
    http://www.deltablues.org/MACE/schedule.html
    And a bajillion more. If you come to Jackson, I'll introduce you to Gwen Magee and you can go home and say you met someone famous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You encourage me always to think more fully about These Things that I want to do and am doing - got excited and invigorated just reading about the classes. Just recently had a friend raving about Kyra Hicks saying so many of the same things except sharing lunch and a prodigy connection. Prodigy. Whoa. Way-back machine ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your enthusiasm is always contagious! Oh, and love that closing remark!

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...