Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Mixed Media Collages

What I learned today:  the cheapo gesso i picked up almost 2 years ago is a pain to spread...I really need a palette knife with this.  I'm not going to use the Golden (I think that is the other brand I have) which was easier to spread for this stuff---



Img074 Img092


Img073 Img093


The other thing I learned is that I'm not that swayed to use charcoal for direct application or for details.  the sharpie, the pitt pens, and just a plain old sketch pencil worked better for me.


I'm going to contribute the inability to get the oil pastels to blend better to the low grade (cheapo) brand.  I used my fingers and also a blending stump.


 


The other thing I'm questioning is if I'm more drawn to the photographic image over the cartoon image.  I do believe I am.  


Even though it is not cloth and thread...I can loose myself in the processes of doing these mixed media collages.



2 comments:

  1. I think that I like the photographic one best. Isn't it funny about the tools 'o' the trade we choose. I have a big 'ole bottle of Liquitex Gesso that's almost gone - and think I will choose it again. Golden is kind of expensive for Gesso. Dabbling with paints, pencils and gesso is what got me so hooked on mixed media - something I never ever thought I would like. It's the focus that matters- rather than the medium. F-L-O-W feels good whatever tools we use! Love what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a plain ole pencil eraser to blend my cheeepo oil pastels...lots of control.

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...