Friday, April 6, 2012

Auditioning Threads

When I left the studio today I resolved to use the subdued threads to allow the image to get all the attention but looking at the photo now, I'm having second thoughts.  Trying to be true to what I think this quilt needs, I'm going to hand quilt it.

I layered another piece today that is ready for some couching and machine quilting.  It is a landscape piece that has paper lamination.

As I've been pulling unfinished pieces together I'm thinking how unrelated my work appears one from the other.  Yet they all feel like my work...like pieces of me.  Even though I always intend to work straight through on a series, it hasn't happened like that.  I tend to work in circular rhythms, moving from one unrelated piece to another, eventually moving back around to a series.  What patterns of creativity have you noticed about yourself?



2 comments:

  1. Interesting question, Karen. As a mixed media artist, I tend to have a number of things going on at the same time in my studio, but when it's time to create products for shows, I do focus more. Because my work incorporates painting, stamp-making, monoprinting, and polymer clay work, I'm creative in all those areas, sometimes all at the same time! Like you, I often work in series, and think it's an interesting challenge to concentrate on finding creative solutions to a series of problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle,

      Your point is well taken...my quilts are "mixed media" and I think this must be why I go from what series to another without completing a series first. I get ideas from the fabrics I design. This year I'm working hard to focus and stay on task.

      Delete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...