Tuesday, January 3, 2006

Color and Composition continues

In the previous post are my exercises from pages 24-25.  For those who remain interested in working through this book, lets post results from Line and Shape, pages 26-29 this weekend.  The exercises on Value and Color, pages 31-33 and Monochromatic and Achromatic Color Schemes, pages 35-40 will be due to post the weekend after Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Holiday which gives you 2 weeks. For those who are outside the U.S. that is the weekend beginning 01/20.  How does that sound? Who's still hanging in with this?



I already know I'm going to skip doing the color wheel in fabric...for some reason I have an aversion to making a color wheel in fabric...any arguments in favor of why I should I'm open to hearing.  It just seems a waste of time to me when I have a printed one...I don't get the point made in the book.   



Also, Gabrielle Swain has a quilt, Autumn Improv, on page 30.  I would like to see Nest I by Sue Benner and Forest Floor by Jan Myers-Newbury (page 28) in person. 



8 comments:

  1. Glad to see you back and working, Karoda....looks like you are having some fun. Do you go to Paducah every year? I guess it's relatively close to you. I went a couple of years ago twice, and was so impressed with the Southern Hospitality and friendliness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still willing to work on this, but got sidetracked during the holiday break (which means.. the time that the spouse is home all day.. and that doesn't end until next MOnday).
    I won't do the fabric colorwheel for one reason: I don't have all the lights/darks/brights in all the colors and I'm not going out and buying them just for an exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in. I have done the color wheel in fabric with Katie. It is a good exercise because having a paper color wheel and translating it to fabric are two different animals. It is a problem many quilters have - choosing fabric in the right values and tones -jmho!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still in too. I'm excited to do the line exercises in black and white, so I hope I can sqeeze them in this weekend (hubby's back at work, but the kids still have a week off, so there's not much *me* time). I have done a fabric color wheel which i will post. It's not perfect, but, like Gerrie says, it's a different animal than one with solid colors. It's worth doing if your stash is large and scrappy enough. The challenge that makes it worthwile is working with print fabrics. BTW, I love the purple thread on ochre fabric--nice drawing of the still life too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't think of anything more boring than a color wheel in fabric. Why on earth would you need to?
    But I really enjoy watching your progress on these exercises.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see why it would be a valuable exercise, but I wouldn't do it either. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still in, just been a bit busy with company and the holidays.
    I would like to do the color wheel in fabric, but I don't think I'll post this exercise anytime soon, because I don't have all the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think if you want to skip something then do it - it's your book!
    I personally never use a color wheel or have a use for them at all so I'd for sure skip it.

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...