Saturday, January 14, 2006

Today's loot and run off thoughts

It rained here all day yesterday.  Of all the things I can consistently notice is that rain and extreme cold temps aggravate my fatigue and muscle burning and I run a low grade temp.  Last Thursday the rhuemotologist added the diagnosis of fibromyalgia...it really didn't upset me or anything because I've lived with the symptoms for so long that it pretty much seems normal to me.  The only time I complain is when the pain is so bad that I stay on the verge of tears. It really is a horrid habit to have developed and my very first pulmonary doc cautioned me about becoming accustomed to the pain. My enthusiasm for life, my youth, and thinking that if only I practiced postitive thinking well enough that the physical discomfort wouldn't hinder me from doing anything I wanted badly enough.  Pretty much I think I was able to pull it off until the last 6 or 7 years. 



But back to yesterday...it was not a real good day for me physically but my perk for the day was my brother, Upfromsumdirt, coming over and us running a 10 game Scrabble marathon from about 9am until about 4 at which time I took a nap and then got up to play a last game around 8:00.  I still remain the reigning Queen with yesterday's tally being 6-5. (He has been praticing.)  I should have taken pictures of the winning word strategies!



This morning it was cold but warmed up and the sun was shining and the rain had stopped just in the nick of time for me to make a run to the 1 buck/fat quarter sale.  It was easy...I got there when they opened as many others where waiting for the door to open...but since I do not prefer to buy prints or florals (although I tried to make myself purchase them but ended up putting them back except for the few you see in the picture).  It was easy to go through the bins that where set up and just pick and go.  After an hour this is what I left with:



Dscn1193



The grays are for the C&C exercise in value.  I think I have enough colours already for the monochromatic exercise. 



My family has been gracious to allow my sewing machine and supplies to remain on the kitchen table without complaining but I have not been up to doing much besides the design exercises in the previous posts...one of which will become my JQ for January.  I did attempt to take one of the b&w samples and sew circular stitches on it using the circular attachment for Janome 6500.  After fiddling with it for about an hour 2 days ago I couldn't get it attached.  Come to find out its not for my machine...kinda pissed me off since I called ahead to make sure they had the one for my machine in stock and then once again double questioning when I went to pick it up and it turns out to NOT be the one I need.  It will take about a week she said before it comes in.



I have 2 book recommendations...Collage Sourcebook and Handpainting Fabric.  The first one I've had for about 2 weeks and its wonderful...I really try not to have a lot of quilting-technique books on the same topic/technique and just get the one good definitive one that speaks to me and with these 2, I seriously scored!  After reading and re-reading Collage Sourcebook, I think I really need to have a printing machine to run fabric through.  I think there is an open teaching studio in a arts and entertainment complex here that use to be a meat processing center that has a drop in schedule and one of the weekly topics is print techniques...I hope to be able to check this out before I get hasty, but I'm seriously thinking I need a printing machine. Don't you think I need one? :) If you say yes, I'll let you come over and play.



Dscn1196_1



Okay, I just came from Ebay checking the price of printing presses and maybe I don't need one afterall. 



7 comments:

  1. I think you need to learn to use a printing machine and THEN get one! (I can say it that way because I know you'll learn fast.) Then you will have a better argument for getting one. he-he-he
    We already suspected the fibromyalgia, didn't we. At least the demon has a name.
    Something I've done (sort of as a test) in the past few months is to give up artificial sweeteners of all kinds.
    I would even drink a Diet Pepsi every now and then to see if I could tell a diff.
    There IS a difference, Karoda.
    Those things wreak havoc on things that cause us pain. I am (knock wood) primarily pain free now.
    But of course, I have yet had the courage to test my stamina. That comes next.
    XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    You mentioned an "open teaching studio in an arts and entertainment complex here." Could you tell me a bit more about it - name and location - please? I'm really curious and interested in this.
    Thanks,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you need to check out that studio... it sounds similar to my art center. I'm trying to figure out how to learn screen printing there.. and then how to go there to make my screens. Alas, their screen printing classes all seem to be at night.. so it will take until summer...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karoda
    I understand about living with the pain. There's a really good book, need to look up the name and it's upstairs, that I've used for several years. It's written by woman who's lived with fibro/cfs. I've learned alot from this book.
    Gotta go look this title up, before I forget again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh! Karoda - hope you feel better soon. My sister's fibromyalgia got significantly better after she was diagonosed with sleep apnea and started using a breathing machine when she sleeps at night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah Karoda - welcome to the world of fibromyalgia. I have it along with sequlae from an old brain infection, and everyone and their brother will tell you what worked for them, and all I can say is that you gotta follow your own intuition on what is going to work for you.
    I have redone my little pain scale so many times - 'normal' for me now is what "really the heck painful' was years ago. Drs don't believe you, quacks try to sell you cures, and you could try a new diet for it every week for a year and not find one that works for YOU.
    For ME, the biggest things that have helped have been finding that fine edge of activity level where I am pushing myself hard enough to not get deconditioned, but not so hard that it lands me in bed for the whole next week. If you can find that zone (getting TONS of sleep and rest helps), then you are well on your way to living well with FMS.
    As a quilter, I'd like to make my personal recommendation for a parrafin bath for your hands. I keep mine plugged in 24/7, and dip my hands in liquid warmth whenever my hands hurt too much to work. Just FYI.
    Thinking of you -
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have my sympathy. I'd LOVE to have an etching press...I've made etchings on fabric, and it's wonderfully effective. I also like the collage source book, and also consider the cost of a press, and mutter under my breath... The only thing I'd say is, I got a book press cheaply (bearing in mind I'm in the UK)...it will print collagraph and monoprints, despite not being a moving press (ie not on rollers). LOT cheaper than a press with rollers.

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...