Sunday, November 14, 2004

Another Beginning

Welcome to my blog, another beginning in my online adventures, created to document my quilting journey and other supporting representations of my life. 



My interest in learning to quilt began twenty-something years ago shortly after I graduated from college.  I had asked my great grandmother, Willie Pearl, to teach me to quilt. She was a hand and machine quilter who made functional quilts solely for the purpose of keeping family warm.  At first she was shocked to learn that all through my education that included college I had not learned to quilt. It was evidence for her that I had wasted her grandson's money and my time if college did not include something as basic as quilting. She finally conceded and we started hand piecing a bow tie pattern. Repeatedly, she had me undo my stitches because they did not suit her in size or closeness. She finally quipped at the end of the 2nd lesson that her quilt would be on the bed and worn out before I finished my one block. I resigned that day.



A few years later she had a stroke and passed away. Shortly after her passing, I lost my grandmother, Lizzie Pearl, from brain cancer. As a way to honor them both, their presence and shaping of my sensibilities and life, I began again. This time, without any advice or mentor. I purchased Quilts! Quilts!! Quilts!!! The Complete Guide To Quiltmaking by Diana McClun and Laura Nownes.  Using African Fabrics as a focal point I made a variation of Roman Squares. It is all hand pieced and quilted.  Just last year I machine attatched the binding.   



Dscn0220



Dscn0217African Delights, (c) by Karen Davis 2003 



Thank you for stopping by and feel free to leave comments.



4 comments:

  1. You have so many thoughts running through my head with the quilts, the colors, the story of Lizzie Pearl and of course the poetry of Naomi.. As far as working with anyone on anything, well you know one of the decals on my truck reads "Does not play well with others". Your intentions are pure and I have great confidence your finished work will reflect not only your intentions but your tremendous enthusiasm, energy and vitality, not to mention your fantastic eye for color and detail. Love this blog btw :D I can't wait to see the finished product! I think the house idea is perfect..and you know I love the shades of fall, so I'm loving the idea from start to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for bringing me here. I feel I understand your art better and can see you a bit more clearly today than yesterday. I hope you do this often. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on starting your blog - know you have been wanting to get it up and running. Thank you for sharing your journey with us, can't wait to see it unfold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really neat, Karen. I never knew your quilting history like this before. And it is a beautiful one indeed. Your grandmother and great-grandmother would be so proud. You are truly talented, and it is amazing to see how passionate about this thing you are. What gorgeous works you've created. Thanks for sharing them.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...