Friday, November 19, 2004

Fiber Postcards II

Franki's card came this week and it had 2 bird feathers with rich but subtle colors on the front that I asked her if she had used dye on them.  They actually came from her bird!  Since reading her post about 90 minutes ago, I've had 3 moments around thinking about these feathers and her use of them on the postcard.



First, I thought about the first time I saw Martha Stewart's show...she opened the show introducing the topic as planting bulbs then followed by "but before we do that we're going to make our own flower pots".  She had a "master" cement mixer, let me say that again, A MASTER CEMENT MIXER! on the show to mix the cement then she made a mold for him to pour the pot...I was so blown away because the topic was "planting bulbs".  I'm having the same reaction to Franki's card.  In the flow of my thoughts I imagined the feathers being a signature piece in her quilt art but who has her own bird sanctuary in order to collect the feathers.



Then the second moment made me think about something I'd read by Alice Walker from an essay on the rape of the environment...she submits that the gifts and resources we are suppose to have by design of nature are the things within our hand's reach...sea shells, leaves (and I'll add feathers) etc. 



Then the third moment I had thinking about how awesome and rich the colors are in the feathers...lead me to quip that God is the Greatest Artist of all time and how we just attempt to manifest (and not necessarily at a conscious level) a glimpse of such divine wit, vision, and spirit when we actively create and express.



So from something as light as a feather, literally, this is where my mind rambled to. Untitled1 Here is an image of the postcard.



                         Fly With Me 5 (c) Franki Kohler 2004





No comments:

Post a Comment

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...