Monday, November 15, 2004

Color

I'm reading Color Play by Joen Wolfrom to get a hold on working with colors with intent and vision versus working intuitively.  Although, I do the latter much better, I don't think without a deeper understanding of how color works that I am going to be able to create the quilt designs that I'm so attracted to such as Carol Taylor's or that have the impact I desire.   Dispersion_small I want more control over why and how I select colors.



Dispersion (c) by Carol Taylor



In Color Play, Wolfrom works with the Ives Color Wheel identifying primary, secondary, and tertiary colors as pure and refers to colors has having personalities.  There are four scales of color...pure, which are the primary, secondary and tertiary colors on the wheel; tints, which includes all colors between white and the pure color combined; shades, which includes all colors between black and the pure color; and tones, a color that has a grayed or subdued quality. 



I'm attracted to intense shades and pure colors and am challenged to work with tints and tones.  The piece I have up on the design wall now consists of 2 pure colors, yellow-orange and cerulean blue in sharp geometric shapes.  I have 2 blocks finished and am wondering if I need to work with tints and and tones in the same color if I'm going to make it as large as I imagine it to be when finished.  If I stay with pure colors it could be overwhelming and harsh to look at in the size I want.



Today's colors for observing is Yellow. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...