Sunday, November 14, 2004

Origin of this Blog Title

Naomi Shihab Nye's poetry softly stirs my spirit and lingers inside.  I'm drawn to poetry that speaks to the soul of geographical locations tied to ancestry and that gives voice to the heart of the people. 



The title of my blog comes from a phrase in Shihab Nye's poem A Single Slice Reveals Them found in her book 19 Varieties of Gazelle . A portion of the proceeds from this book go to Seeds of Peace . I could not find a link to this very short poem, but the opening stanza reads:



An apple on the table



hides its seeds



so neatly



under seamless skin.

This is the way I think of my quilting, my poetry and writing, and my interest in the creative and artistic desires of others...as seamless skin...connecting me and protecting me and holding me together in this world. The seeds representing the essence of how I came to be and encoded with who I will become.



The second and ending stanza submits to me that we open up and let what is in us out as a way of allowing others to see and know our essence.

But we talk and talk and talk



to let somebody



in.

For me, this is the way I think of blogging...a way to talk and talk and talk to open up and reveal what is inside and to let others see.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...