Sunday, February 20, 2005

It Is What It Is...move on.

I finally said 'stop'.  The constant requirement I give myself when I start a journal quilt is that I have to salvage it no matter what. 



These were my goals with this particular journal quilt:



1. try the June Tailor fabric sheets



2. layer photo images, at least 3



3. it had to reflect my mood when January rolled in



I ran the sheet through the printer 4 times. I wasn't impressed.  Added 7 skeleton leaves in 4 colours. I wasn't impressed. Stitched around the leaves to add emphasis. Its was a little better.  Stitched over the bare tree to give it emphasis...at least it was a chance to practice free motion stitching.  I thought about beads...naw. I settled on foil stamping...silver first, to mimick snow and cold...thats quite shiny...maybe another colour of foil. Aqua...it needs to be toned down.  Since the poem printed has a line about the earth's wedding garland decaying as it awaits the kiss of spring...how about torn pieces of tulle in spots to tone the foil down somewhat.  Oh, I need to tell ya that the foil came about as a cover up of black thread that showed through to the top (I was free motioning with the silvery thread in the bobbin and black on the top with the quiltlet facing the bobbin and didn't see the black thread until I turned it over).  That was another reminder to 'pay ah-tension'.



I looked at it and said no more...it doesn't move me, but it is what it is. Move on. I call it The Waiting Bride.Awaiting_bride





4 comments:

  1. I like it. I'm glad you persevered. I especially like the blue and green blocks of color onto which the poem and the tree are layered. Did you print those on one of the runs through the printer? Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, the colour (for some reason I like spelling color as colour since experiencing a Scrabble game related trauma from my partner who was raised with British English) but as I was saying, the colour blocks, including the tree and the poem came about as a result of being ran through the printer 4 different times. The next journal quilt is the last of the June Tailor sheets and it is a self-portrait from a collage I made with construction paper many years ago. Will post it closer to next weekend once I've embellished it more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE IT! Really says January to me, and I adore the colours (!), especially all the transitions you have going here. The green makes me hope that Spring is slowly on its way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well feel free to send me anything you "don't" like as much as this, because it's gorgeous. I think you're too hard on yourself quite frankly. The quote is fabulous and works perfectly with the beautiful work you've done with the colors. I would give up a kidney to be able to turn out something like this.. ya need a kidney? ;-p
    xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...