Saturday, February 19, 2005

Sojourner Truth Knitted

Mo, Ade, and I trekked to the Speed Museum today. I was feeling the need to be immersed in colour and forms today and the museum was a good fit.  Mo is such a control freak though...she wants to command the "how" of moving through the museum...Ade is more leisurely and enjoys actually reading about the works.  There was a painting of Sojourner Truth of the photo that is seen so often of her sitting and I swear she had knitting needles in her hand.  I kept asking others viewing "do those look like knitting needles to you?"  and of the 5 people I surveyed, no one had noticed until I asked but all agreed that "yeap, they look like knitting needles".  One woman said she must have needed something to abate the stress of being an abolitionist.  But I started my mantra..."I'm not going to take up knitting, no way, nope, I'm not gonna do it"



Here is a poster of the original painting which is way larger than life and was very towering.  Sojourner Truth.  Flack's early works was described as photo realism...the painting had the look of a photograph that had been painted over.  I should have taken a notebook...I can never depend on my memory.  But doesn't that look like knitting in her left hand?





3 comments:

  1. I'm repeating that same mantra! We must be strong. I'm going to scold you if I see anything about purchasing yarn on your blog! You are a quilter! Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out these links- Proof positive that she knitted! Hey, I'm a quilter too, but that did not stop me from breaking down and buying some bodacious yarn recently :o) Don't worry, I'm only knitting a scarf! I'll be back to quilting shortly...
    http://home.millsaps.edu/~~mcelvrs/Sojourner_Truth.jpg
    http://oha.ci.alexandria.va.us/fortward/special-sections/freedom/

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://home.millsaps.edu/~mcelvrs/women_2000.html
    Link doesn't seem to function as planned, here's a better one. You need to scroll down on both links to find the picture of Sojourner though. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...