Thursday, February 24, 2005

Recuperation quilting

After 9 hours in the ER yesterday I'm home recouperating from some virus that left me weak and dehydrated...for weeks now, I'm been yo-yoing from feeling okay to feeling my flesh was going to just fall off my bones if I move another inch and have been wheezing like a train...and yesterday I ended up in the ER mostly doing a lot of waiting and getting depressed from all the other people who where waiting and seeking care.  Other than one poor soul who I was sure was going to wipe the entire place out with whatever contagiouos infection I was sure he had, a woman came in via ambulance and police that sucked all the energy from the place with what was obviously a psychiatric admittance.  She was one whirling dervish, I tell ya!



But I woke up this morning and attempted to design something based on colour wheel patterns after being inspired by Michelle David on Simply Quilts but started feeling weak again so I laid back down and got up an hour ago and made this little ditty.  Its about the size of a dinner plate. I will duplicate the leaf motif in the quilting and its important for me to outline the image of the leaf and extend it into the organge border on the left.  I tend to think of quilting designs being confined by seams and I want to break that way of thinking.   Dscn0427_3



I was going to bump the orange up against the purple but I think they are too close in value and the image seemed flat.  The black and white strips add motion and make the orange and purple more interesting and then the orange square on the right was added because my purple was too short...but I like it because by duplicating the colour from the inside border it creates another focal point.  I might consider adding another orange square in the upper left hand corner.  I was tempted to add this square into a larger piece with these altered photos of a Morning Glory. 



I have more of them but all I thought of about was that I've taken a beautiful, tranquil flower and gave it LSD...btw, I wanted to try flower pounding but the thought of taking flower petals, a symbol of quiet and gentleness, and beating them to death seemed so, so, so violent and wrong.  (okay, typepad isn't cooperating with the upload of my images so I'll have to post the photos of my drug addicted Morning Glories later.)



I hope to finish it today. But for now I'm going to go read a few stories from Woman Hollering Creek by Sandra Cisneros and drink some tea...am craving a cup of java but I think it would upset my stomach....so I'm going for something light called Honey Vanilla from my tea stash.



hangeth in good people.





3 comments:

  1. Get well soon! But not TOO soon. For the past week or so, your blog has sounded like you need to stay home n sip tea n read books n play with colors and fabrics. So, get to feeling healthy, but enjoy the time at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hope you get well enough to drink coffee soon! i hate that part about being sick, it makes it all so much worse. i love the off-balance of the corner orange square, it anchors the little leaf. it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karoda:
    Rest, tea with honey and good thoughts to you. Get well soon......Junott

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...