Sunday, February 6, 2005

Nothing much going on here

Dscn0378_2                                                   















See the previous entry.  This is finished.  I started out calling it broken, but I'm not sure if I'll keep that name unless I do a companion piece with it. 











Dscn0373_1 















I took this picture on the 25th of January...the cloud of white, orange and red was fascinating and I don't recall ever seeing color like these surrounding the moon. 









After checking out Contemporary Quilting by Sandra Meech from the library and not being able to renew it because some other person is waiting for it I went ahead and ordered it from Overstock.com for less than 20 bucks...they only charge 1.40 for shipping!  So I plan to use them when I want to actually purchase books.



The coming week I plan to do nothing but practice machine quilting.  I'll post samples next weekend...the good, the bad, and the ugly.  I think I've been reluctant to actually just sit for hours and do it due to me being frugal...the thread, the fabric, the batting.  I read somewhere that 2 felt squares where a good equal to use instead of the basic quilt sandwich.  I'll try both.



My parents are feeding the flock today! woohoooo!  In addition to my crew, Donya, Chris, Eric, Tasha, Darius, Adrian, and Mudman will be there.  My mother is 73 and she exhibits more energy in a day then I do all week.  I'm really in need of a overhaul of my life.  Isn't there a reality show for just this sort of thing?



It will hit the 60 degree mark today and the gray sky has lifted!





7 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see your machine quilting! I need to get back to the sewing machine.
    Thanks for the tip about buying books at Overstock.com !! We both might be in trouble!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen to practice quilting you can also make the sandwiches from paper towels and felt. The larger the better however. You wouldn't want to scale down your designs to fit a small sandwich.
    Melody

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out the close up pictures of amazing free motion quilting at Melody Johnson's blog. She has such great motifs. Also Robbi Ecklow did a two-part series in Quilting Arts magazine at least a year ago on free motion quilting. There were several pictures, close-ups, suggestions, etc. I refer back to those articles all the time when I need a fresh idea for a pattern. Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just ordered and received this book lats week. Quick service and great price from Overstock.com.
    I am enjoying the book a great deal . More ideas to try out.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I've had Sandra Meech's book "Contemporary Quilts - Design, Surface and Stitch" for a few months and cannot recommmend it highly enough! It has excellent ideas including some great examples of visual diarying. I found it inspirational for encouraging me to be more experimental with my work. I now make many more samples than I used to and it is paying off. I refer back to it time and again - enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a lovely picture you took, but I feel like the moon is an eye that's watching me! Stand back a little, and blur your vision --- you'll see what I'm talking about! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karoda,
    Do you still have the page Melody sent us with the school of fusing labels? I deleted mine by mistake this week. If you still have it, would you send it to me?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...