Sunday, October 30, 2005

Bright idea (at the time)

It really kinda started with Julaine's challenge of organizing studio space which I opted not to participate.  But the catalyst was the beginning of making a special quilt for a special sistah-friend who lost her sister last year and her mother last month.  I had purchased one of the angel patterns from Maggie Walker Designs Dscn0959



last year to make for her and was barely holding my head up back then to even start it. 



On Thursday I had this burst of energy, so I pulled out the angel pattern and fabric to apply fusible, but first had to wash the commercial fabrics...and then I got this brilliant (at the time) idea to go ahead and wash everything...I really don't have that much fabric comparatively speaking but then I started and the piles and piles kept forming and my plan was to iron it all (of course).  Dscn0955_1 Dscn0957_2 Most of my stash is made up of fat quarters-half yards. I started this on Thursday and guess what? You got it! I'm still ironing.  I get these ideas when I feel well and then my body starts talking to me, "girl, are you crazy? please, go sit down. i can't take this?" and well, I'm hard headed and I just keep going to the point I have no choice but to rest.  You see, while in my burst of wellness I started cleaning out the closet. Ended up with a bag of clothes for Goodwill and discovered a box of fabrics from over 10 years ago with tons of quilting magazines.  Friday, I managed to get a huge bag of scraps and quilt magazines to a community center that teaches middle school girls to quilt and dropped off the clothes.  I have a smaller bag of scraps that will be going to a friend of Sue's who teaches quilting to people who are incarcerated.  I never got around to cooking my red beans and rice and we ate "catch is as catch can" (that means whatever you find in the cupboard or fridge that will keep hungry away, go for it).  I'm close to finishing up the ironing and tomorrow will be dedicated to that and making the quilt for my friend. 



5 comments:

  1. Looks like you have some pretty fabric there, Karen. I was going to tell you that if you get them right out of the dryer and fold them right away, you don't need to iron. But I've got some yardage sitting in the dryer now from yesterday I forgot about. Your friend is very lucky to get a quilt from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't watch TV unless I have something to do with my hands. When I sew or crochet or iron, I really enjoy television; maybe you could schedule ironing around your favorite show~
    My scraps (some the size of fat quarters or half yards) often get jammed into a drawer to get them out of the way :( and then need ironing when needed again.
    Love that gold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lordy woman! You wear me out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lordy woman! You wear me out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lordy woman! You wear me out!

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...