Tuesday, October 11, 2005

I went out today to find my feet

This afternoon I stopped by a new shop here called Close-Knit Cafe to show the owner my quilts.  A week ago she put a call out on a yahoo group of Louisville artists and I took the leap.  I'm very familiar with the area the yarn cafe is located and had watched the store front come together wondering what was going in there.  But nothing really prepared me for showing my work to someone so I just walked in and introduced myself and found the environment pleasant but other than saying here it is, this is what I do...that was it.  She went through the pieces several times and showed the other person (I should have asked her name) some pieces and commented specifically on some of the pieces she personally liked.  She asked me if they where hand-stitched. She asked me about insurance of which I don't have and told me what her insurance covered, at which point I confessed that this is all new to me.  She is looking for emerging artists as the space is kinda hip and the place to linger while you knit, blog, and sip cappucino.  The type of place that makes me want a laptop so that I can go there during the day and hang out. 



The wall space itself is rather large and for the first time I thought to myself "I really need to forge ahead with making larger size work".  Also the place gets some evening sun and I thought about some type of sun-guard.  And then how to really appropriately hang work.  I was thinking the fishing line ran through the sleeve but I think that would create some sagging...prolly the slats with holes drilled for the fishing line to run through???? 



It really seems like there is so much more for me to learn if I want to show my work and since I'm a hands on learner with subjects that do not come intuitively, I suspect that I'm in for yet another learning cliff here. 



The work will hang for 1-2 months and I'm looking at December or January.  Is it better to have very divergent pieces or works in a similiar vein?    I know there isn't a right or wrong but it boils down to what feels right for me, but I'm an easy learner and if I can side step some serious mishaps while trying to find my feet, I'm open! 



9 comments:

  1. Super congratulations to you. Taking that leap is a wonderful action toward your goal. If you don't try, you never know. You will have to take pictures of the hanging process and the show for us all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great opportunity! I usually like to look at a variety of work...that way if one doesn't catch my eye another one might. Just my ever so humble opinion tho! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three cheers...you are having your first solo show. What a major step...you won't regret it. Usually you want a solid body of work that shows a style but can have a wide range of imagery. Don't forget to price your work accordingly so those buyers will be tempted. To answer your hanging question, I vote for dowel (did I spell that correctly) rods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for you. You were courageous to take that first step. I'll be wanting to read all the details of your new journey

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so proud of you!! Way to go. I think you hang what you love and don't worry about the cohesiveness. See what float's peoples boats - so to speak. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. how cool! Where is this cafe? Sounds like a fun place to hang out. Would they throw me out if I crochet there?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, I'm so happy for you! It's so great to get your work out there to be appreciated...and maybe sold. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Huzzah! Huzzah to you! This is wonderful news. Im with Gerrie. Hang what you love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a big deal! Congratulations. I am so proud of you. Definitely diving in is one way to learn... the best way!

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...