Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Whole-house studio and books

Speaking of books, I'm listening to Love by Toni Morrison in her own sultry voice.  She has a voice like a jazz singer, deep and sultry.  This listening to books on tape is new to me and takes some getting use to.  Listening doesn't allow the words to linger and roll over in the mind forming images, instead, I have to keep hitting rewind to get this effect. Listening doesn't allow me to interject myself into the landscape of the story...it makes me feel more like an observer. Also,the voice of the reader is key for me in enjoying the book. I still prefer the reading of the book over listening, but due to the fatigue that stills bothers me, I've not been able to enjoy reading as much and have slowed down substantially.  This at first bothered me because so much of my identity was tied to reading and writing.  What I do to adapt is to not waste time reading books that don't grab me and I seldom re-read books.  Morrison's novels-all of them, as she is my favorite novelist and Clarisa Pinkola Estes' Women Who Run w/ Wolves are standard re-reads.  I tend to favor books that challenge me, rock my world, make me question my asumptions, alter, expand my perspectives, etc.  Here are a few of the books that impacted me or entralled and entertained me in no certain order-



White Teeth-Zadie Smith



Their Eyes Were Watching God-Zora Neale Hurston



Two Thousand Seasons-Ayi Kwei Armah



Corregidora, Eva's Man,  and The Healing-Gayle Jones



Divine Secrets of the Ya-ya Sisterhood-Rebecca Wells



Secret Life of Bees-Sue Monk Kidd



Jazz in the Bittersweet Blues of Life-Wynton Marsalis and Carl Vigeland



The God of Small Things-Arundhati Roy



I tend to stay away from popular fiction and what I left off of here are many of the essayists and poets that I read more of than novels or memoirs.



A few years ago I was trying to embrace living simply thanks to my cybersistahfriend, Michele, whose blogs are Testimony and Truth and The Ballad of Lareaux. Living simply was a way to respond to the over-piling of "stuff" which many are of books so I joined Bookcrossing as a way to unload many of my books that I know I will never re-read again and have fun doing it.  My bookcrossing name is "karoda" if you want to see my bookshelf and if there is anything there that you want, just let me know. I haven't been very active with it in awhile but I still enjoy sending books to other readers from the site who make requests or dropping them around town.  I've rediscovered the library since my new buying "stuff" has to be quilt related.



I don't have a designated studio and when I responded to Juliane's challenge via email I told her that I was skipping the challenge and why, to which she replied I had a "whole-house studio" and I like this term to describe how I work.  My fabrics and notions and books are on a bookshelf that faces me when I roll out of bed, at the foot of the bed in an old suitcase and rubbermaid container are my dyeing supplies, the design wall is where ever I put up batting and pin it to the wall, (currently in the hall way, and my sewing machine sits on the kitchen table and the other day I found myself making an ironing surface out of the coffee table.  The kids complain sometimes but P. is very encouraging but gets frustrated when I use the Rowenta iron for clothes (we have several old irons) and the ironing board he purchased for 100 bucks at discount for heat setting paints or applying a fusible.  Speaking of which I have to go clean the iron as promised.

















10 comments:

  1. Karoda,
    I like your taste in books. I haven't read Love yet. Going to have to add some of these to my list. Right now I'm reading Sue Monk's The Mermaid Chair, and it's pretty good. (I, too, listen now instead of reading)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost put The God of Small Things on my list. I read it right after it came out, so it has been quite awhile, but I still think of it occassionally. Another one that I didn't include partly because of the same emotional intensity was The Bone People by Keri Hulme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost put The God of Small Things on my list. I read it right after it came out, so it has been quite awhile, but I still think of it occassionally. Another one that I didn't include partly because of the same emotional intensity was The Bone People by Keri Hulme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, I'll add this one to my list...I love emotional intensity and I read mainly to experience just that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to check out The Secret Life of Bees. One of my best friends really loved that book. Oh, what a treat from you...three entries in one day! I haven't been around here much, so it's a delight to get my fill. Oh, the cooking blog is a great idea, but I TOTALLY understand your not wanting another internet distraction. I feel the same way. But, I'll be looking forward to your posts on cooking! I love it too! Tonight I made some catfish soup (I had so much fun being creative with it!). I've never made it before, but oh! I baked the catfish till pretty firm, cut it up into bite sized pieces, used a beef broth, threw in lots of different spices, some diced tomatoes, barley, rice pilaf and a combination of other veggies. Oh, it's so thick and yummy, girl! I need to bake up some fresh bread, get a bottle of Shiraz and call it a day!! Whatchu say, chile, whatchu SAY! lol. Don't get me started on some food. Umph!
    Love,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  6. All praise Zora Neale Huston! Their Eyes is one of my favorites and I also loved Secret Life of Bees. I tried and tried to like White Teeth but I gave up. It never drew me in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've added your list of books to my ever growing list..but at least now I can make room for some new books with 'bookcrossing' thanks for leading me to that site. I'm living in taipei taiwan and will enjoy leaving books around!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The librarian LUVS reading what others are reading! I first read "Their Eyes" in 1973 and fell in love with Tea Cake (named a cat for him!) The Ya-Ya's and the Black Madonna are also personal favorite characters. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for getting me into Zora Neale Hurston.
    Have you ever thought of doing quilts inspired by your favorite books?
    I've got something in mind (in my genre of art) for THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES - it moved me that much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you are the only other person I know who has read The God of All Small Things!

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...