Thursday, February 2, 2006

I'll take this month, yes, and the other 11 also :)

I got this idea from a blog I stumbled across and I thought well enough of it that I'm creating my own suggestions for what to listen, read, or watch for Black History Month:



MOVIES



  1. Crash


  2. Bamboozled


  3. Daughters of the Dust


  4. Malcolm X


  5. Mississippi Marsala


  6. anything by producer Oscar Micheaux


  7. The River Niger


  8. Blacula


  9. The Hurricane


  10. Beloved


BOOKS



  1. anything by Toni Morrison


  2. The Autobiography of Frederick Douglass


  3. The Autobiography of Malcolm X


  4. Two Thousand Seasons by Ayi Kwei Armah


  5. The River Where Blood Is Born Sandra Jackson-Opoku


  6. In Search of Our Mothers' Gardens by Alice Walker


  7. Corregidora by Gayle Jones


  8. The Souls of Black Folk by W.E.B. DuBois


  9. Africana: The Enclyclopedia of the African and African American Experience


  10. The People Could Fly by Virginia Hamilton


MUSIC



  1. Something Inside So Strong by Labi Saffre


  2. We're A Winner by The Impressions


  3. Keep On Pushing by Curtis Mayfield


  4. Anything by Aretha Franklin


  5. Soundtrack to Roots


  6. Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now by McFadden & Whitehead


  7. Keep Your Head to the Sky by Earth Wind and Fire


  8. Revolution by Arrested Development


  9. Anything by Gil Scott-Heron


  10. Say It Loud by James Brown


And to close out this post, a poem I wrote:



WILLIE PEARL'S ARTIFACTS



I have no memory without these poems.



So, I gather her artifacts and time shifts



Her past into my future: a marriage certificate, gold rim eyeglasses, a black chiffon dress, a pair of earrings, a plate, two tea towels, a photograph of her grandmother, a letter from home.



Light shifts. The candle behind



Reflects on the mirror in front of me and



Her spirit passes through.



Your home was a landmark on the



Twentieth century underground railroad.



Crossing over the Mason Dixon line,



Folks bound for Detroit could



Rest and get a decent meal.



A pot of greens, sliced tomatoes, cornbread,



And sweet tea brings the comfort



That quiets my own desperation.



I have no memory without these poems,



My own offering on the landscape.



I gather them to honor, to create, to know



Meaning in this place. To dignify the freedoms



You never had.



I sojourn further and form shifts: the catfish jumping high turns into an antelope running that turns into a woman singing that turns into a bird flying that turns into the immortal sun.



We are everywhere!



Scraps of African fabric



Handstitched with the breath of God!



We! Us! You and I, hand to hand, eye to eye, soul to soul



Emerging as one dark body over time and place.



(c) Karen Davis, Louisville, KY  2003



 





8 comments:

  1. Beautiful imagery, Karoda. You are talented in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the language in "In Search of Our Mothers' Gardens" and need to read it again.
    Mary nailed it K.: beautiful imagery; I've gone back over your poem several times and am really surprised at how visual it is. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing poem.
    I have a treasured copy of "In Search of Our Mother's Gardens", as well most of Alice Walker's other books. I'll have to check out some of the ones I haven't read. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your wonderful poem. The detailed images are so rich.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. So warm & lush. I feel I'm in your room with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful poem, K. So convincing of the senses to me. I love it when you post your poems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE "Daughters of the Dust". Beautiful movie. The women in their white dresses. The water. The imagery. My g'mom used to teach Gullah children when she lived near Charleston and "translated" some of the movie for me when I didn't understand the dialect.
    I did my high school English thesis and AP essay choice on Alice W. I joke that she helped me get out of college a semester early.
    Lovely poem...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't improve on the other remarks about this poem, but I can ditto them.
    You never cease to amaze me with your soul.

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...