Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Too Much Time Online, February Journal Quilt

Sorry about the delay but fatigue set in and I could barely move but finally here is the February Journal Quilt.  Feb_journal                                       Dscn1281Dscn1284The title is Too Much Time Online Playing Literati.  Very fitting since February is the month that I discovered the thrill of the game and have become "just a little" obsessive about it.  The first image is scanned and the other 2 were taken with the digital camera.  The camera is dead on colour wise.  In the 2nd image on the right is a self portrait made by tearing construction paper.  It was made over 10 years ago in a workshop. That bugged eyed look I thought reflected me playing Literati, so I scanned it onto June Tailor's Transfer fabric.  The fabric is a little stiff and retained holes in the fabric from sewing.  I switched out my needle to an 11 and the fabric still had the look of being  punctured. A coloured pencil was used to make the eyes bloodshot.  This piece makes me laugh and I really love it.      



Yesterday  I had to run some errands with my youngest son and make some appointments and was so tired and in pain that when I returned home at 5:30 I was in bed by 6 and slept until midnight. Right before dozing off, I opened a surprise package from Jen to find this book in my hands: Dscn1286



A random act of kindness that I am the recipient of...sometimes life is sweet! Thank you Jen :)                                                                                             



17 comments:

  1. Very enjoyable piece, colorful and energetic. It really captures the feeling of very gently poking fun at yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karoda, I adore this piece! It is so charming and the connection to your computer addictions, too funny! It is one of my favorite self-portraits of all time.
    Glad you like the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Jen said. I love this self-portrait!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohmigoodness! Before I scrolled down more I thought "Wow. This reminds me of a Romare Bearden piece." Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful... do you have a camera on my... blood shot too-much-time-at-the-computer eyes !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is hysterical! You don't really look like this - right? Those eyes are just too much! You know that I am a huge Bearden fan! In a design class I am taking, we had to chose an artist friend/mentor and he is mine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having fun while creating and loving it - life is sweet! Wonderful self-portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderfully idiosyncratic! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful, Karoda...now I can visualize who I am playing against. By the way, you are a whiz at the game!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is just hilarious. that is the way I feel a big part of the time. great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your portrait is charming and wonderful.
    I could look at Romare Beardon's work every day. Well, come to think of it I am since I borrowed a great library book.
    Hope you feel stronger and better soon.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was love at first sight! That portrait is adorable. I know what you mean about the holes in the photo transfer fabric when you stitch, and I can't use small needles due to arthritis making it impossible to grip anything small. The receipt of that book was pure serendipity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful, energetic self-portait. The eyes are definitely full of mischief.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this Karoda, it's so hilarious and spot on regarding efffects of too much internet!...you are so talented! I always enjoy reading your blog and seeing what you are up to...Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Karoda, this just made me start my day with a big smile. It's wonderful! And I can identify with the too-much-computer look, too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very fun & charming piece. 50 years from now it'll probably be worth thousands on The Antique Road Show! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw your quilt on Rayna's blog - it is so wonderful! I didn't realise it was yours until I read the comments and I wanted to know whose it was, I liked it so much... Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...