Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Nothing much happening here

I returned to the exercises in Color and Composition...here is the analogous study.  It appears to me that monochromatic and analogous colors are very very close in appearance.  I used a 24 color wheel and to get a more vivid analogous study it would seem that a 6-12 color wheel would have been better.  Img_0372  



In trying to advance through these exercises my biggest aha moment comes in seeing the limits in my fabric stash.  Maybe I'll learn to buy more purposefully to broaden my spectrum.



I can see this pattern enlarged with more expressive fabrics.  In finishing up these last 4 postcards for the Postmarkd Art swap (the deadline is today, sigh~~) I concluded that my love affair with working small has fizzled...I'm really feeling the pull to make a large piece around 6ftx5ft.  I don't have a design in mind yet but fooling with the color studies will keep my hands busy, thus my mind and I've been browsing art books for ideas...Bearden, Matisse, and Van Gogh.



Also, a good friend is "reinventing her space" since she purchased a new condo and has a quilt by an Elizabeth Quebbeman from Indiana that she is selling.  She attempted to search for the artist to see if she wanted to purchase it back, but no luck in locating her...I'll post an image of it in the next week or so if she doesn't move it but if anyone knows of this quilter, please let me know. 



I'm going to miss my friends old place as it was very much like a musuem of the ecletic! My favorite was the original Woolworths sign that hung over the entrance into her dining room that was quickly snatched up by another artist along with a quilt by Penny Sisto.  I'll be sharing photos from time to time because of the uniqueness of her "stuff" that I can't imagine not being with her any longer. 



9 comments:

  1. Karoda,
    This reminds me of the piece I'm working on, wishing I had done all the exercises from Katie's book first. I always bite off more than I can chew. It sounds (and looks) like you are ready for a larger piece. Your blues are gorgeous together, and I like your lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you would have to get back on the Color and Comp bandwagon. I've been looking at my bits and pieces and thinking I need to get to it, but costumes and hexagons have taken precedence. Thanks for lighting a fire under my butt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this would work well as a larger piece, and I like the spare look of the analagous colors as well. The blues are interesting, but relaxing, a great combination.
    Know what you mean about the your stash - I buy fabrics I love, but they are not always the ones I need when working on something new.
    Would love to see your friend's place; know I love the idea of a "museum of the eclectic."

    ReplyDelete
  4. ARe you talking about our friend C? I would so love to have something she is selling to remind me of her and our special connection with her.
    If she's having some kind of open house sale, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! I am so going to be behind. I can't deal with color and composition just yet!! I love your curvaceous design in blues. (Hey, Ms Scrabble queen, did I spell that right?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is nothing like going through your stash to spark some new vision, Karoda. It always works for me, too. Is your friend moving far away? Ouch! That hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the motion and the simplicity of the forms in this composition. The blue is lovely and restful, but it would be kind of fun to see it in other colorways or patterns too. Are you going to make this large?
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Karoda,
    I see you read many of the same blogs as I do. Wanna trade links?
    Shirley in New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the new blue blog color!

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...