Thursday, February 9, 2006

Pulling it together

Dscn1253 Dscn1258 Dscn1264 Saturday I'll have dinner with the friend this was made for, so my attentions this week are dedicated to pulling it together in order to surprise her with it.  The pattern is by Maggie Walker and I used this as a major effort toward developing fmq.  Moreso than the music and a beer, it was the hold with one hand drive with the other that Melody Johnson at Fibermania instructed (blog can be found in sidebar) that really helped me jump a hurdle!  I was really pleased with my scales for the fish :)  I discovered that red thread on orange works well and deep purple thread on black and brown I like.  Madeira metallic thread handled beautifully and never broke once with using 2 programmed stitches at high speed.  Nothing but Bottom Line thread always!!!!!!!!!!  After it is blocked, I'll sqauare it up tomorrow and add some sparse beading, a little colour on the white birdss, a dark blue binding, sleeve and label.   The rest of the day I'll do the Blue Apple in a gray scale and try thread drawing the Willie Cole sketch (see a few entries down).



I'm back to making myself stick to a schedule and hopefully I'll get a original design going soon.  Most of the time one can't wait for a muse, but needs to know how to summon one...afterall, I'm the boss of me!



13 comments:

  1. I really like your swirly borders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karoda,
    It is gorgeous! I love your stitching...does your friend not have a computer (how can this be a surprise?) And where do you get your Madeira thread?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good. The colors in this are gorgeous. your quilting looks great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Karoda, this has been transformed with the quilting! The colors are great and everything works so well together. Love the pink wing, orange fish, and flowers in her hair. Border fabric is perfect. Mmmmmmmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful, Karen!
    I agree that Bottom Line is the best -
    Thanks for your nice comments on my latest postcards...
    Julaine

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really pretty! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I go away for a day, and look what you post! Colors are hot and exciting. Quilting is beautiful. Your friend is very lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab...Absolutely Fab!
    Love the colors, movement, everything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You have definitely jumped a hurdle. The quilting looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that quirky face. I've gone through the blogs a few times lately and every time I see that guy looking at me I smile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was great seeing you Friday. I had such a great time. I really love the piece you gave Mary and your work in general is wonderful. I was surprised to see our picture here. This blogging process is great. Very impressive. Callme soon. Ashi

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...