Sunday, December 12, 2004

Half way there...YES!!!!!

Dscn00011 Well here are the 12 blocks I finished Saturday morning at 3:00 am.  Since then, I've sewn 2 rows and the 3rd is on top of the sewing machine.  I'm going to use the left over fabrics for a pieced backing. Then I'll add a layer of pellon for stiffness, topped with a batting, then the top.  I'm not yet sure if I'll do a traditional binding or close zig zag stitch the edge.  The label, the sleeve, beads and charms will be the last steps.    Dscn0252 Here is my block--The medium blue (mountains in all the blocks), the dark blue that makes up the roof and the light green eaves section and purple and orange that make up the front of the house are my own hand-dyes. 



At first, I was really having a hard time seeing how the fabrics where going to work in one piece.  I added my own fabrics to make the sky, peaks, roof, eaves, and foundation to each piece.  I thought the sky would be the unifying factor, so all the fabric is identical. I went for diversity in each blocks...some, I think 3, of the blocks share the same white fabric that makes up the doors and windows. Other than this, no fabrics are repeated for the eaves and foundation and of course the body of the house.



I feel so much better that this step is complete.  Here are a few more blocks up-close: Dscn0249_3 Dscn0246















To get an even closer look, right click on top of image and select open in new window.



Just keep on stitchin'...





No comments:

Post a Comment

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...