Monday, December 27, 2004

Lunch Break

1. How long have you been quilting? on and off since my mid 20s but continuously this time for about 2 years.
2. What methods of quilting do you prefer to use? I really do prefer to hand piece and quilt, but in light of my goals to create visually dynamic contemporary style quilts, I machine piece and machine quilt.  I'm more focused on finishing pieces so I work small scale.
3. What kinds of things do you like to quilt? Postcards, Journal size, and wall hangings that are about the length of a yardstick is large for me.
4. What projects are you working on now? making postcards, binding a wall hanging.
5. What kind of sewing machine do you use? Janome 6500...just got it in September...now I'm wanting a quilt studio to go with it (longing sigh)
6. Have you been to any good quilting websites lately? of late, quilting blogs are my obsession
7. What kind of fabrics do you like? hand dyes and batiks
8. Who taught you to quilt, or did you teach yourself? First attempt was my great grandmother when I was in my early 20s--this was brief due to her being a sense of perfectionism around the size of my stitches--later I purchased 2 books on quilting and connected with some quilters via Prodigy back in the mid 80s.  Last year and some this year, I took lessons from J.Y. an art quilter.
9. Do you quilt mostly for yourself or for gifts? I guess for myself since I still have most of what I've completed...I have separation anxiety...I think because I don't have enough completed projects to feel secure as a quilter.  Kinda like I still need to have proof in my possession that I do this.
10. Do you buy fabric as you see it, or for projects?  I buy as I see it...I wish my sister, D.B., would bestow some of her excess fabric upon before it dry rots on her. 



1 comment:

  1. Hi Karota:
    Found you on the ring! so I thought I would answer these questions....Junott
    1. How long have you been quilting?...since 1994.
    2. What methods of quilting do you prefer to use? machine piecing and I am presently experimenting in machine quilting small quilt pieces
    3. What kinds of things do you like to quilt? I like to try uncommon fabrics and colors in traditional patterns. I hope to move on to pictures or postcards
    4. What projects are you working on now? Red color Lap quilt using delectable mountain block, experimenting with plaids - trying to figure out a pattern I'd like for them.
    5. What kind of sewing machine do you use? I own a Pfaff
    6. Have you been to any good quilting websites lately? oh tons....I can make a list...
    7. What kind of fabrics do you like? Batiks, plaids, and imported fabrics and silks from asia, africa and Indonesia
    8. Who taught you to quilt, or did you teach yourself? Self-taught, sadly my mother hates to sew but my father's mother was a dressmaker
    9. Do you quilt mostly for yourself or for gifts? In the past, as part of my guild I have made and donated my quilt-tops (someone else puts them together) that go to the homeless, the elderly and premature babies in hospitals; I also have made some quilts as gifts for family and friends.
    10. Do you buy fabric as you see it, or for projects? I have a habit of buying before I need it because I am afraid it would be gone from the shop before I have the chance to make some out of it. So of course this said I have lots of fabric waiting for a project....

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...