Friday, December 31, 2004

MWFUN, this is for you...(an inside thang, don't ask if you don't know)

Damn, I'm sitting here reeling with joy, laughing and crying, from Dee's email.  She sent 2 responses to the question I posed to her about defining moments in her life that helped her in letting go of drawing conclusions based on "demographic packaging " (a phrase I just made up that describes all the check boxes we assign ourselves to for whatever reasons).  of other people.  This was sparked by an entry in Jimi Izrael's blog that I emailed her the link to.



As always, her response was raw, real, and funny! She has such a talent for story telling.  Its what I love about her.  Her craft and mastery with words is like warm butter on toast.  I still think she should consider a double major and obtain an mfa in creative writing.  She is really off the hook with her sense of perception of experiences.  I can't wait until her career begins to roll because she is going to be a lightening bolt to contend with!



Anyways, her response broke my heart wide open and it was greatly needed after the banter with Peter this morning over Bill Cosby's diatribe.  I casually commented aloud to Peter what I've been wondering about Mr. Cosby since he first started this back in May...whether or not he is having an emotional breakdown over the loss of his son.  I know it has been many years, but really, does grief know how it should occur for any one person?  Peter took my remark as being totally dismissive of Mr. Cosby's assessment.  Because I've only heard what he has said through reading it on MSNBC, it sounds like he is venting to me.  Not that venting can't serve a purpose, but that just sounds like what he is doing and I've wondered where the controversy is other than venting makes a good news story by getting people's attention and boosting ratings.  And venting can be a personal release of frustration that aids in healing.  Maybe if I heard Cos speak in person to get the full gist of what his message is, I would have more of an informed opinion.   Other than that, it just seems more like Sunday morning at any Black Baptist church...I ask, would it not be a Sunday without stylized venting and a dose of group-induced shame?  I really needed Dee's skills at wit and words to have prevented the shouting match that Peter and I had this morning all over what Cos' is saying or not saying.



I'm at work and it is exceptionally quiet today...many are off for the holiday.  I'm going to wait and use my holiday to hopefully take Melody Johnson's workshop in 2 weeks. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...