Monday, December 6, 2004

Teaching the next generation

While in the quilt shop this evening a young girl of about 10 wondered in and wanted to learn to quilt...she didn't own a machine and kept asking the owner "can I learn to make this one without a machine?"  The owner showed her a hand appliqued quilt that she could do but then the cost of the class was a hindrance...she went out of the store and came back saying her 15 year old sister wanted to learn to.  My heart was touched by the young girl's earnest inquiry and desire...I almost volunteered to bring in my old machine for her to use.  After she left I spoke with the owner about programs that would provide support for working with youth...with a perk in her eye, she asked me if I would teach it...I offered to see what info and funding was available for young people to learn.  I would enjoy teaching them, (I think), or I might just be feeling all sentimental about each one reach one.   I do have that knack for allowing my enthusiasm to write a check my behind can't cash.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...