Thursday, December 30, 2004

Quilt, not draw

Card_by_kel This is the front of a handmade card by Kel, (Goddess of Raku and Fire)Card_by_kel3_copy.



I scanned it and altered it in Adobe Photoshop. Not that I really know what I'm doing, but I enjoy playing around so I have not a clue what I really did to do this.  My plan, (always working with a plan, right?) is to print them onto fabric and embellish with thread painting or thread work and beads for postcards or either journal size or hey, maybe both. 



The one below is a postcard that Dee did with watercolor pencils or crayons. Postcard_from_dee_1 I will transfer it to fabric also.  For a minute I was considering taking drawing lessons and working through Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain to improve my "seeing" and compositions in quilting.  I really like the pictorial quilts...but after a few sketches I really decided I wanted to quilt and NOT draw and would take creative liberties with putting images on cloth.  Plus I told Dee, heck, I have friends that can draw :).  Too little time...I just want to make quilts!



I wanted to submit a request to the state's art council for a small grant to attend a surface design workshop this coming summer and really resented having to learn to take quality slides to submit with the application.  I mean that places a financial and skill burden on visual artists and crafts persons if their medium is not photography. Does the decision boil down to who has the best slides OR which project/artist is worth developing?   I missed the deadline anyways...but hopefully in the years to come my talents will all be aligned and in sync at just the right moments.



I just received a call from work....but I will not lament here because I promised myself this blog was going to be about my thoughts and experiences with quilting and other supporting evidence for my creative self and very little of anything else.  So with that said..Susan shared this link on the Oasis , Susan Sontag essay on writing and literature.  I've been reading about her life a little since I read that she passed either yesterday or the day before.  I'm only familiar with Sontag's writing on the periphery of my reading, but her works came across as something I would be intrigued by.  If I didn't spend so much time here on this box, I could get back to voraciously reading books.   



Oh, before I run, I got this brainstorm idea from listening to a writer being interviewed on public radio when I was coming home this evening.  But I wondered if Dee and Pam would want to write a fiction piece together...one would start and do a chapter, send it to the other without any instructions but the freedom to create and develop the plot. That person would send it to the next and so on...I guess it would be a round robin novel.  I think Mud Man has tried this on his poetry board with other poets.  (I don't know the show I was listening to or the writer's name, otherwise I would credit him with giving me this little light bulb idea).



No comments:

Post a Comment

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...