Friday, December 24, 2004

Surviving and Thriving

Made it back! It wasn't too bad...having Peter to shop with eased my desposition which is unusual because he gets dizzy from spending large sums of cash...couple that with my dislike for enduring shopping and we argue.  But today was nice.  The car only got stuck in the snow twice today...yesterday Peter dug and pushed, dug and pushed, and dug and pushed up to four times yesterday.  I thought he was going to be sore from head to toe today...but he is fine.



I really wish I had the entire year to make quilts for holiday gifts...especially Kwanzaa since the theme of gifts are either handmade or items that reflect the African American experience, heritage, and values.  My family knows that I give books typically for Kwanzaa, but this year I haven't thought about what to buy.  I have another week to decide, but this year's celebration will be quiet again like last year, the four of us reflecting on the seven principles and Peter talking about his father or some other aspect of growing up in West Africa, and myself talking about my grandmothers or some cultural ancestor and their contribution to the American landscape.  One year at Mary's, not sure if it was during Kwanzaa or not, she and I went into a spontaneous recitation of Sojourner Truth's Ain't I A Woman, ad libbing and improvising the pieces we both had forgotten...incorporating emphasis and breast beating and fist raising in the spirit of Ms Sojourner herself...hehehehee...crazy times...(we were girls together surviving and thriving) After that whenever we where together and became indignant about something we would go into this speech...of course most of the time it was an inside joke that would make us howl.  I really miss her...I don't know anyone else who was so passionate and intuitive and knowledgeable of the Pan African experience as she and she fueled my own intuitive search and creative vibes.  Will have to at least give her a call to catch up.



and  I wonder where the Kinara is? ummmmmm



No comments:

Post a Comment

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...