Friday, December 17, 2004

Postmark'd Art Web Site

More about the postcards...my items went up in the gallery 2 days ago! The "For Sale" page will go up today!  My excitement stems from working collectively with others in making this happen. Somehow, I don't see that I would be happier if it was just my site solo...collective creativity, group projects, I find so much more exciting. It increases the dynamics, keeps the juices flowing, energies high, ya know?!  Poetry and quilting, although can be solo endeavors, for me it is as much about building community and creating relationships, connections as it is self-exploration and self-definition. 



From where I sit, Franki and Carol where the catalyst that funneled our energies together to create the site.  Franki is in California and Carol in Alabama and here I sit in Kentucky and the other artists are spread all around the U.S.  They are some really incredibly talented women.  The cards that I have received from them are on my Webshots album in a private album. If you are interested in seeing them, email me and I'll send you an invitation to view it. 



Margaret Mead has a quote about not underestimating the power of a small group of people to make change.  The creation of the website for Postmark'd Art demonstrates this quote in action.  Back in late summer I was thinking about how to increase my visibility as a contemporary quilter and connect with others with shared interests and using the internet as a tool to do it...after weeks of pondering this it was too daunting and I decided that I would focus on making small works, photographing and documenting my journey, learning, and submitting my work in appropriate venues for the next year.  When the chance presented itself on the QuiltArt list that I lurk on to join the postcard exchange, I took the chance thinking it would be a good ground to play, condition me with meeting deadlines (which I resent), get feedback, and hopefully make a friend or two around quilt art.  This is happening, and maybe it doesn't take much to thrill me, but I find the coming together to create the website is phenonmenal.  I'm having fun just promoting it.  This experience falls under the heading of "trusting the process" to bring you where you need to be.



From this, I've been wondering if the M8 would be interested in a similiar site for us?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...