Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Scale and Proportion

Johnston's book on design is really helpful in helping me critique my own work. I made this woman after I received Lura Schwarz Smith's video from Jukebox Quilts (see quilting links).  I've been stewing on what kind of background to place her on.  First I thought about a realistic looking fall scene of a road ahead surrounded by trees as if she is walking down the road but someone has called her and she is looking at them over her shoulder.  Then I thought about a watercolor backgroud. I want to keep her as the main focal point and it would seem to me that the scale and proportion (Chap. 5) would be the crucial considerations.  I would like to have the background show variety in colors but not overwhelm her.  I want simplicity without the background being boring. 



After the discussion at the Oasis about crows being misunderstood birds and bullies, I thought she would look real good next to a raven or to have one on the road before her.  Will keep working on it in my head.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...