Sunday, January 16, 2005

Goals, goals, goals

Dscn0363 Dscn0366_1 These are postcards made from the scraps of the workshop.  Strips fused and cut...I think the one on the right could use more embellishments...I started with the multi-colored thread creating a line down the center of the strips but I didn't like it...Maybe beading down the seams but then I would worry about this going through the mail.  I'm thinking decorative yarn down the seams couched on.  I have already fused the backing on it so I would either need to use invisible thread or a thread that blends with the back which is from the yellow color on the front.I'm going to satin stitch the edges or take strips and fuse onto the edges...maybe one of each...I think a horizontal line caused from a binding strip would bring the vertical flow to a sudden stop. 



A cotton batting is the middle layer...no timtex or fast2fuse.  I think I will place these under the "for sale" page at PostmarkdArt.com when Carol does the next update. 



When I kept trying to force these sets into a larger composition I was stumped and uncomfortable with the layout and sketches...I think thats what happened on Saturday with the piece (see entry dated 01/15/2005)...the larger it got, the less control and loss of structure.  My inner eye and hand coordination don't gel when pieces want to become larger than I can work.



Juanita is sponsoring challenges for the next 4 months as part of the design symposium this summer.  I need to reflect how January rolled in for me in a quilt, the size must fit in any size bubble envelop of my choice. The dominant color will be grey for sure...I complained for weeks about the grey overcast that has been here since early December.  Even when it was unseasonably warm...the grey gloom of winter hung over.  The grey only lifted a few days ago...ha, due to the mystic vibration of the Form Not Function show being hung!  That works for me.



If I get real ambitious I might just participate in the Journal Quilt project also...but I need to get the postcards made since people are asking me about them and I have one inquiry from a retail gallery.  Goals goals goals...I guess that is one way to work, eh?



Hangeth in,



3 comments:

  1. Girl those postcards look just perfect to me!!I think they would make fabulous large quilts just as they are, no gooping up with embellishing at all! Imagine them blown up to 4 feet by 6 feet. Really powerful compositions. Seriously.
    Love Melody

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Melody is right! I especially love the one on the left, but they're both cool. I wish I could work with such powerful colors! Are you going to make more?
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karoda,
    I found your blog! Melody is right about the postcards, they look terrific on the screen. Really beautiful in their simplicity. It was interesting to read how you felt about those days at the Carnegie Center. The workshop was an amazing experience for me too, and I've been flying ever since. I'm home now and no one here speaks the fusing, art-quilt language, so your blog was sustaining to me. I am going thru fabric panic! I need more color. I need more cloth. I gotta work some more.
    My blog is violet patch at blogspot.com. It was truly wonderful to meet you and to work with you.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...