Sunday, January 23, 2005

Looking through windows trying to find my palette



Dscn0372_1This is the piece I referenced yesterday.  For me it is a large piece measuring 36.5"x22".   I sketched out 4 other layouts for larger pieces with more windows last night before dozing off.  One will be using the fused technique since I started that one yesterday...and the colors will be bright.  using the Marcus Brothers hand dyes I picked up at Baer's last year.  If I where to do this piece over again, I would use metallic thread instead of the cotton in pink and blue that alternates with the black thread.



This morning I was thinking about palette, my palette in particular.  I stay away from large prints, prefer batiks and mottled colors.  I have a lot of purples and blues, with yellow and browns following, greens and oranges I have the least of.  And red is almost none existent in my humble stash.  Here is one of my favorite pieces for color-it is a journal size. Slanted_log_cabin_1 The jury is still out on what defines my personal palette.  One's palette, motif, is one's voice.  I think this is what Mel was saying she wanted to see...the voice, our voice in the work...



I'm going to attach a bottom and top sleeve to the quilt above and I think I'm actually going to cook today a real meal...fried sweet potatoes with onion and garlic, spinach, and Nigerian beef stew over rice. Going to make enough for 2-3 days...I can already hear the groan of my kids on Tuesday..."we're having this again".  But since I work in a shelter and see families struggling every day, I ALWAYS have a great comeback lecture for them...;) 













3 comments:

  1. The window piece is striking--windows serene in their cool colors and important in their vertical placement. The black makes the piece look very important. You have insomnia and quilt, all I can do is sleep, sleep, sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the purple, blue, and black piece -- your quilt work stunning...very chic. I'm going to start painting on silk this summer -- yikes...a totally new venture for me -- but your pieces have definitely inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend toward dark purples, reds, blues. I hardly have any pastels, or soft colors. I have recently fallen in love with yellow and orange and I have been thinking alot about muted colors- ones with greys or compliments added. I love color.

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...