Sunday, January 9, 2005

Root Worker

Hand piecing and hand quilting some 15+ years ago is what drew me to this journey.  Back then I would rise early enough before work and stay up late past everyone else going to sleep at night just to reflect, collect my thoughts, and pray.  The hand work was my own 'peace be still'. 



This time around it is the elements of design and fascination with color that I'm drawn to.  I want to complete projects so I end up working small scale and am eager to submit and show what I'm doing.  So I purchased a new machine this year.  After reading and test driving for 6 months, a Janome 6500 came home from lay-a-way in September and my 40 year old Kenmore went into the closet. 



But this weekend, today in particular, I couldn't sit at the machine and after changing up among 3 different wips, it was pulling out a 4th wip and deciding to do hand piecing for a bed quilt that I was able to get lost in the process---reflecting, collecting my thoughts, and praying.  I guess I could call it 'root-work'. hehehehe 



Regina Carter's cd, Paganini After the Dream, kept me company while sewing.  I have a sketch of a quilt I want to make for this cd...when I first heard it a few years ago on npr I had to pull my car over I was so consumed by it.  I tried to buy it that day at several stores but it was selling out just as fast as they came in.  Truly beautiful music with much historical significance for the jazz and classical world.  Check it out if you don't already have it. 



I still get leary of how to tie off at the end of a line.  I pulled from the shelf one of my instructional books and found a method referred to as a 'neat knot' for tying off.  This is backstitching at the end of the line, with the needle half way through, wrap the thread coming off the eye under the point of the needle and the thread coming from the stitch line the opposite way going under and hold with your thumb and pull the needle through.~~~~~~~~~~~dunno, but it seems fairly secure.



Dscn0310 Dscn0316





No comments:

Post a Comment

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...